• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weaver Kaspa scope- BAD

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Kaspa-3-9X40-Ballistic-X-Scope/dp/B0065OGMF2

One of these Weaver "Kaspa" (cheap Chinese-made?) scopes came on a buddy's new Savage Axis II rifle that he bought just the other day, October 2014. Just like the one in the Amazon link above, it was the 3x-9x power with a 40mm objective lens, black in color, and with what I assume they call the Ballistic-X reticle. With the low profile scope rings that came on the rifle, the scope sat down low close to the barrel and allowed a decent cheek weld on the stock.

The rifle was a .308, and since it was a fairly light rifle with a synthetic stock, it had some kick to it.

On the 15th shot (ever, in this gun's lifetime) the Weaver scope BROKE internally. The lens that had the reticle (crosshair image) just fell over.
The shot before, the 14th round, totally missed the target and the backing board, even though we had already sighted it in and had been getting good groups.
So the scope seems to have failed internally (but without any clue at that time the user would notice) on the 13th shot, which is why shots 14 and 15 didn't even hit the 48" square backing cardboard around our target. And the 15th shot made the scope's lenses inside physically fall out of position and tip at about a 60-degree angle.

OTHER CONS TO THIS SCOPE:

Narrow field of view, even at 3x or 4x magnification.
Dim scope. Seems to darken everything it looks at, like a $29 Tasco from Wal-Mart would. (Even though this scope is NOT a Tasco, and it sells in the $100-$150 price range!)

THREE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS SCOPE:

1-- It's got finger-adjustable dials for windage and elevation, after you take off the turret caps/ covers.
2-- It's got more eye relief than most other scopes, which is probably a good thing for light weight rifles in powerful calibers like the .308 or .30-06.
3-- It's got a nice precise reticle. A fine crosshair, plus a few short crosshair points below that, which you can use for bullet drop compensation and "hold-over." We only shot this rifle at 50, 100, and 200 yards so we only used the standard center crosshair, but the other ones could be useful for longer ranges.

This scope and the entire rifle combo kit is going back to the big box store it came from.
But whatever they do to address the problem, it doesn't change the fact that this Weaver Kaspa scope was a real lemon as delivered brand-new last week.

Last edited:
good to know!! I saw one on a real nice deal awhile back online and glad I didn't pull the trigger now.

that's why ill stick with my Leupolds. even the VX-1 series blows most scopes out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom