• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Weight training equipment input

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
I've started working out again and am looking to add equipment to give me more versatility in my strength training. Presently I have a Bowflex, curl bar and dumbells. I can get the basics but want to fully transition to a 4 day split and plan on adding depth to each body groups workout. So I'm looking at getting a bench and more free weights. Actually I'm looking at a Gold's Gym

0004361921486_500X500.jpg

I like that it is two parts so the rack can be used for squats as well as bench/military press, while the bench can be used for inclined, flat, declined and can be separated from the rack so you can do flies and dumbbell bench. The preacher curl and leg attachment are plusses as well. Main con is the price...I'm just cheap by nature. lol.

My weights are 1" hole and I have just over 100 lbs so don't really want to change to 2", but the better bars and sets are 2".

I'm looking for input and suggestions and would appreciate any.

1. Take a look at stronglifts.com
Lots of free education and info plus a workout plan for free. I use it with the free iPhone app. It's a great place to get started and keep you from burning out or getting lost.

2. I had something like your picture but sold it off to get a cage/rack for safety. When you work up to heavy max squats, you want to make sure you don't get crushed or folded in half. Those little arms would be easy to miss. (don't ask how I know) No spotter? Get a cage!

3. Never buy new sports equipment. I picked up a like new cage, bars, weights etc. for $0.30 on the dollar of new @CraigsList. Be patient and start watching every day.

4. When you do go 2", there is a big difference in the quality of the bars. I have one bar that came from a "starter" set... meh.
I have a second bar that would have cost more than the starter set new. It gets all the the use.
If you do the stonglifts, you'll need 250 lbs+ in a few months. Better to invest in a nice 2" set.

5. I use my 1" set for dumbbells only now. I've collected a lot of 7.5# plates, they are a nice size for this application.

Last edited:
1. Sell the bow flex
2. Get a used power cage and 2" set with money earned from bowflex
3. Compound lifts
4. Make all kinds of gains

I've looked at the cages but they are just outside my budget. At least for now..well new any way.

OK. Thanks. I just saved a couple of hundred bucks without even buying anything. Now that I've seen some of the deals to be had I surely won't be buying new.

Back
Top Bottom