• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

West Point Lake is heating up

That is much better than it used to be

When I worked for DNR in the early 90s I saw the postings every few months and you couldn't eat hardly anything caught in west point

We go to the Lagrange side of west point lake and db stay at Highland Marina Resort. Sometimes go to the dam and fish for big cats. From what I understand, stripers are hitting like crazy right now.

We go to the Lagrange side of west point lake and db stay at Highland Marina Resort. Sometimes go to the dam and fish for big cats. From what I understand, stripers are hitting like crazy right now.

Down the street from me, shoot... and yes, stripers are hitting as we speak.

Yes sir!!! We normally go the week after the 4th of july and go and stay in the marina view cabin. If our family goes back down this year, we may try a chalet, but they are so expensive lol

Yes sir!!! We normally go the week after the 4th of july and go and stay in the marina view cabin. If our family goes back down this year, we may try a chalet, but they are so expensive lol

Unless you rent a boat at Highland Marina, you should check out camping at Shaefer Heard.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/r...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71370

You can literally walk to the dam and fish, they have a kids lake (12 and under) in the rear of the dam and HUGE CATS on the backside of the dam also... Stay off the rocks to keep Mr. Green Jeans off your back though. Ask me how I know LOL.

Alewifes is what you need. We used wear them out on trout then just like you said the bite just died. We dont even buy them anymore unless we want to catch small mouths. I have never heard of the rules against netting the Alewifes, all of the guides and everyone who can keep fresh bait alive nets them. The Alewifes and shad have taken over that lake which is why you will catch walleye every now and then, they were put in the lake to help control the population, so why not net them and use them as bait?

Hmm, the DNR person I talked to last year said alewifes weren't introduced to Carters by them, but rather illegally introduced. Last year when reading the regs for netting bait it did not specifically mention alewifes as legal to net. Again, it's a stupid technicality. I called DNR about it and they agreed, it is technically illegal to catch them with castnets and there was some motion to get that changed. I see in this year's fishing regs, it has not changed for Carters, much to my dismay.

But I agree with you that I have not heard of anyone being fined for using them for bait. But until the law is officially changes, if you get stopped by a game warden who is having a bad day, they can fine you. The shad haven't taken over, they have been there for a very long time. It's the Alewifes that have taken over and have become the main forage for most fish species in Carters and changed the dynamics.

From my discussions with Buddy who deals with many guides, everyone is reporting the Striper fishing to be declining. I thought it was just me :) I hope that changes because it's a gorgeous lake and a short drive for me. His take wasn't necessarily the forage base change, but less nutrients getting into the lake for some reason.

At any rate, for me it's the time of year to change back to Coosa river fishing. We generally don't catch as many monsters as Carters in the winter, but you can catch a lot more big, healthy, fun fish pitching shad on spinning gear. Running rivers in a jet boat is a hoot as well.

Unless you rent a boat at Highland Marina, you should check out camping at Shaefer Heard.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/r...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71370

You can literally walk to the dam and fish, they have a kids lake (12 and under) in the rear of the dam and HUGE CATS on the backside of the dam also... Stay off the rocks to keep Mr. Green Jeans off your back though. Ask me how I know LOL.
Lol I can only Imagine you are not referreing to romper room lol

Back
Top Bottom