• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What 10 mm for my back country hunts?

Jaxyaks, you typed the 10mm would have a 190 gr. bullet at 1200 fps,

but the table you inserted with your post
said it's a 190 gr. bullet at 1500 fps,
with 950 foot-pounds energy.
1642953727879.png

This part of the table did not transfer, the general numbers I posted were general numbers Buffalo Bore listed, you have to figure your particular weapon to get a little close to the actual velocity and energy with the round..

These are the off the shelf guns listed for the 10mm and their achieved velocities

➤ 1,258 fps -- Custom 1911 Long Slide -- 6-inch
➤ 1,213 fps -- Custom 1911 -- 5-inch
➤ 1,172 fps -- Glock model 40 -- 6-inch
➤ 1,106 fps -- Colt Delta Elite circa 1987 -- 5-inch
➤ 1,111 fps -- Glock model 20 -- 4.6-inch

These are the listed off the shelf guns listed for the 44 mag

➤ 1,657 fps -- Marlin 1894, 18-inch barrel
➤ 1,431 fps -- US Arms Abilene, 7.5-inch barrel
➤ 1,421 fps -- Ruger Super Blackhawk, 5.5-inch barrel
➤ 1,372 fps -- S&W Mt. Gun, 4-inch barrel

I don't understand how Buffalo Bore produced their tables.

The numbers don't match their initial descriptions of the loads.

Anyhow, it seems that while the best Buffslo Bore 10mm loads come close to ordinary Rem/ Win/ Fed .44 magnum loads, within the same Buffalo Bore brand, the .44 substantially outperforms the Ten.

Anyhow, it seems that while the best Buffslo Bore 10mm loads come close to ordinary Rem/ Win/ Fed .44 magnum loads, within the same Buffalo Bore brand, the .44 substantially outperforms the Ten.
Which is kinda the point when you are looking at using the 10mm for bear defense. Careful selection of ammunition as well as careful testing of said ammunition to ensure reliability in the particular weapon you are using it in.

Some quotes from the owner maker of Buffalo Bore dangerous game regarding this cartridge.

"I hesitated to bring out a “Dangerous Game” load in 10MM as I do not see the 10MM cartridge as a truly dangerous game cartridge, but I do know it is a compromise cartridge for that purpose, (that comes in lightweight, high capacity, and small-sized pistols) that has been used many times, successfully for that purpose. We had so many requests and even pre-orders that we decided to bring this load to the public. Lehigh Defense was patient and helpful in making many samples for my testing, at no charge. We now have a very impressive 10MM DG load."

"After much load development testing with the 10MM cartridge over the last 35 years, I very much see why folks like it as an outdoors protection cartridge… polymer-framed pistols are lightweight, high capacity, accurate and affordable and if the ammo is designed properly, a very deep-penetrating bullet can be used that will break large bones and destroy the internal organs hidden behind those bones. Even though I know this cartridge has been used successfully to stop many large animal (grizzly and moose) attacks, I feel you are walking on thin ice using it as such, so please practice, practice, practice at moving targets and in low light, so you’ll be prepared should that need ever arise."

"Remember that it is the human threat you’ll find around trailheads or public camping and fishing areas that are more dangerous than the human habituated bear. This load will kill humans too, but if you have to shoot a human miscreant in order to protect others, be cognizant that this bullet will go through several humans with one shot if you lined them up correctly, so be careful of the over-penetration issue, should you choose to shoot humans. While we are on this subject, this load would be good for penetrating soft barriers such as stick frame walls, wooden doors, windshields, sofas or many other items a bad guy may have taken cover behind.

"This ammo was designed for humans to protect humans. Use with discretion and precision and go into the great wilds with confidence. Good shooting, and God bless."

I don't dislike 10mm at all, I have even considered adding one to my back country travel kit as well and for certain areas it would be ideal...to me its pretty much ideal for anywhere outside of Grizzly country and I know a lot of guys use it in Grizzly country as well. But one should know the limitations and compromises as well as take the steps with ammunition to give the best fighting chance you can.

Hmmm... regarding any 10mm revolver-- just make sure your cartridges don't have the bullets pulled out due to recoil. That can get you killed, and most auto ammo is not loaded with that in mind. Personally, for a revolver I'd go with a 3" .44 Mag, probably S&W model 69. Loaded with 300 gr. hardcast bullets with monster meplats.

(I agree that 10mm makes a great revolver cartridge, as does 9mm in a pocket sized revolver. But you gotta be cognizant of the bullet pulling issue, and the use of moon clips.)

The smallest 10mm auto would be my choice, as easier to manage while under Mr. Bear. With Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets for maximum penetration. I like the Springfields due to the grip safety, but the M&Ps are also very good guns (maybe better, truthfully).
59 years old and just learned something new today….never heard of bullet pulling, but it makes perfectly good sense….thanks for sharing

Glock 20 or Glock 40 will do fine, or a XDM 10mm, or the new M&P 10mm. There is a few other options but you will loose the benefits of 15 Rounds if you go with a revolver or 1911.

I have family is Alaska that still guide in Grizzly/Brown bear country and most of them have moved to 10mm double stacks, nothing wrong with a 44 revolver if you are good with it but I rather have the round count

What is the bullet pulling issue? Heard of it, but maybe someone here can explain it better than the 20 different things I read online.

Back
Top Bottom