• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you are seeing before the bullet exits is all the leftovers from the previous round. But yes there is a tiny amount of blow by that happens just before the bullet makes full contact with the lands and grooves. The brass case expands out micro seconds before the bullet actually starts to fully move.

If you want to see wasted powder- put 150gr of loose powder in an approved muzzle loader & shoot at night. About 30gr will burn on the ground. I’ve seen the third pyrodex pellet burn on the ground as well.

The other day I saw a video on YouTube where they did some high speed photography of a guy shooting his 1911.

I isolated one aspect of the video, a single bullet being shot, and created this animated GIF image out of it:

View attachment 1633562

WTH?! Have you ever noticed how much extra crap comes out the barrel during a shot, both before and after the bullet exits? I never have.

Bear with me here for just a sec, if you don't mind...

Knowing all the powder is housed inside the casing, behind an unfired bullet, it would seem a lot of it is sliding past the bullet at the moment of explosion and exiting the barrel before the bullet does. Then, after the bullet exits, apparently there are all these unburned grains of powder left over which also exit.

I guess I always thought that ALL of the burning & exploding powder creates the force which pushes the bullet down the barrel, and that a bullet fits so tightly in the barrel nothing can get past it. But apparently a lot of the burning powder is just wasted energy. Is this just inefficient design, or a barrel that's a few microns too big? What would happen if you could harness every bit of energy from the burning powder behind the bullet without wasting any of it?
If you want more burn/less waste - get a longer barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom