What am I doing wrong Sizing .223 Remington

I use one shot with no problems. I use a gallon size food storage bag and spray the lube (not too much) in prior to adding the cases. shake the heck out of them and inspect a few. If they are coated then I proceed. You don't want any inside so don't have too much in the bag.

Nothing wrong with lee carbide dies, they do the job well.

just use imperial wax. never came close to sticking a case with it.. you'll be amazed how long the small tin works

really is the best stuff around.. Hornady one shot makes pretty good release agent for bedding a rifle.. only spray lube I'd recommend is Dillon's.

don't use a lube pad either . just collects dirt that scratches your brass.

when I used to swage my own jacketed bullets as a hobby, we used a lanolin formula for that.. so it will easily work for sizing cases.

just my 40 some odd years experience reloading

Last edited:
Okay so I was making a stupid mistake, yes I was only lubing the case mouth, inside and out and not past where it expands to the body of the case. I was also doing it every round, that's the way the instructions read to me. I was using a Q-tip to apply the lube.. Dip, quick swirl inside and outside, then into the press. I will try the shoe box method, sounds a lot easier than what I've been doing.

Good on you for asking though. If you don't have an experienced reloader to show you every step, I'd recommend reading "The ABC's of Reloading".

When I reload any caliber it's a 1000 or so. Hand lubing is a PITA for me. I found that cheap Frankford's spray case lube, lightly sprayed in three planes (angles) 60 degrees x3 at 1/2-2/3 of the first part of the cases, set in loading blocks, 50 cases work great.

If you're cases are getting stuck as stated "not enough lube" if they are getting dents after sizing too much lube. Find the middle ground and stay in that arena and you will be Gucci.

Last edited:
Everyone sometime the in loading prep will have this experience, sticking a case and getting it stuck is NO fun, however asking for information, studying your process looking for what caused the problem will certainly help you find the answer and take the necessary corrective measures, this is just a part of the passion for this loading process.

It takes time, and experience, and then it will become your own tailored loading system, no one usually has the same system, however you will pickup some ideas, or tips that will certainly help and you will use some and ignore the others.

Continue your loading passion and never try to hurry through the process, work on loading when stressed, tired, or having outside distractions.......

just some suggestions, others have given you some very good info, now sift it, churn it and adapt it to what works for you......

Good luck, and "KEEP'M ALL IN THE 10X-Ring"..........................

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom