What are the steps you take to break in a new rifle barrel?

What are the steps you take to break in a new rifle barrel?

• Total voters
Yeah luck is 3 rounds through the same hole @ 100. It would take a hour and 40 minutes if you did your ten round group properly waiting on cool down.

I routinely take an hour for a ten round group. The question is, if you did take that 10 minute break between shots, would you still have a one hole group?

Quick question....can we just fast forward to the part where one of you guys claims the other guy has a smaller "minigun" and we get out the tape measure for bragging rights?

I mean that's what this is all about, right? :boxing:

LOL, I want to know who the person is who started this whole ten shot group BS and got everyone believing it.

I would agree that there's no excuse on a bench, but I've seen guys exclude shots from a group because they said it was a "flyer". If you're taking your time, allowing a barrel to cool between shots, it should send two or seven more rounds into the same cloverleaf if it's really that accurate (consistent) of a barrel.

Here's a link to a great write up on the case for 10 round groups. Written by one of the best shooters I've ever come across on the Web. He also does some very good ammunition assessments.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/279218_The_Trouble_With_3_Shot_Groups.html

After adopting this methodology for assessing a barrel's potential, it changed my view on what I consider an accurate barrel. An accurate barrel should also be consistent in its grouping. If it throws the occasional round by a 1/2 moa, then it might not be as accurate as you think. (this is not directed at you CD, just a general statement). It should be consistent, maintaining a certain level of accuracy on any given shot. If the extreme spread in one group is 1/2 moa and the next is 1 moa, how do you account for that? Shooting a larger group gives you more data and a better indication of the average precision of the barrel.

I'll give you an example, my KAC SR15 will throw down the occasional 1/2 moa 3-5 round group. If I shoot a 10 round group, taking my time, it averages around 1 - 1.25 moa, AND it will maintain that level of accuracy for as long as I can physically maintain good shot execution. It will shoot that average 1.25 moa consistently with several different loads. If I were to claim it was a 1/2 moa gun based on the occasional performance, someone who bought mine or another like it would be pissed when they found out theirs averaged double that or more.

Nice you got your Intel for why to shoot 10 shot groups from some guy on the internet. :thumb: I will stick with what the government taught me regarding shot grouping.

Nice you got your Intel for why to shoot 10 shot groups from some guy on the internet. :thumb: I will stick with what the government taught me regarding shot grouping.

Since you seem to have it all figured out, and like to exchange personal jabs in lieu of facts, why don't you make a case to refute what he and many others,myself included, have shown to be true? Because we all know the government trains everyone to be snipers like you.

Since you seem to have it all figured out, and like to exchange personal jabs in lieu of facts, why don't you make a case to refute what he and many others,myself included, have shown to be true? Because we all know the government trains everyone to be snipers like you.

No thanks. The government doesn't train everyone to be snipers like me.

Oh BTW is the rifle in your avatar one of yours?

Last edited:
How do you know that barrel break in works? You compare how that barrel shot after break-in say after 100 rounds and compared how that barrel shot without a proper break-in at 100 rounds?

Back
Top Bottom