What are the steps you take to break in a new rifle barrel?

What are the steps you take to break in a new rifle barrel?

• Total voters
So you think the more rounds you fire the better the test results? Why not 30 round groups?

Theoretically yes, but at some point you reach a point of diminishing returns and wasted ammo. Three and five round groups can be very misleading. A 10 round group will much more accurately reflect the average precision of a barrel and show you that the round you thought was a flier was actually typical of the barrels true accuracy.

Theoretically yes, but at some point you reach a point of diminishing returns and wasted ammo. Three and five round groups can be very misleading. A 10 round group will much more accurately reflect the average precision of a barrel and show you that the round you thought was a flier was actually typical of the barrels true accuracy.
Echo echo. ;)

Do you take into consideration that the extra rounds past three cause the barrel to heat up and change shape? No three to five is the limit for truly gauging accuracy. Don't believe who ever told you ten rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Echo echo. ;)
Echo.:thumb:

I'll clean a factory new barrel before I shoot it... but it's going to see how every many rounds I want to shoot in the first range trip. Then clean it afterwards.

That being said, I don't think every factory new rifle comes out of the box the same. They're close, but the sun was shining down just right as some of them rolled off the line.

Do you take into consideration that the extra rounds past three cause the barrel to heat up and change shape? No three to five is the limit for truly gauging accuracy. Don't believe who ever told you ten rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Echo.:thumb:

Sure. I usually let the barrel rest between rounds and strings. If you don't believe it, can you shoot consistent 3 round groups into the same hole, or will it drift and throw the occasional unexplained flyer? Truth is, it's not a flyer or drifting. That's just a better reflection of the barrels true accuracy potential. Anyone can cherry pick groups and discount "fliers" to claim 1/2 moa out of their gun, few will be able to do it with 10 rounds. That 1/2 moa gun becomes a 1 moa gun in a hurry. Why? Because a lucky cloverleaf of three rounds isn't an indication of accuracy potential, it's what you shoot to verify a zero.

So you think the more rounds you fire the better the test results? Why not 30 round groups?

Forgot to mention that I usually fire multiple 10 round groups and take an average to assess a barrels accuracy, so I guess the answer is a simple, yes, I do think that. I certainly think that is a better indicator than firing 3 round groups until I find one I like and claiming the rifle is a 1/4 minute gun, while not mentioning how many groups I fired beforehand or how large they were. 10 rounds tends to even things out significantly.

Forgot to mention that I usually fire multiple 10 round groups and take an average to assess a barrels accuracy, so I guess the answer is a simple, yes, I do think that. I certainly think that is a better indicator than firing 3 round groups until I find one I like and claiming the rifle is a 1/4 minute gun, while not mentioning how many groups I fired beforehand or how large they were. 10 rounds tends to even things out significantly.

I suppose if you are trying to cheat then a three or a ten round group wouldn't be sufficient. Good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom