What are the steps you take to break in a new rifle barrel?

What are the steps you take to break in a new rifle barrel?

• Total voters
I have to disagree.
1) Browning A-Bolt 300 WSM = Sub MOA
2) DPMS AR10 308 Win = Sub 3/4 MOA
3) Browning X-Bolt 270 WSM = Sub 1/2 MOA
4) Remington 700 LTR 308 Win = 1/4 MOA
5) Remington 700 Sendero 220 Swift = 1/4 MOA

All of these are stock rifles. The 300, both 308s and the 220 were bought new and the barrel was properly broken in. I did drop a new trigger into the DPMS.
I have also worked up loads for more than 100 rifles that were stock and have been able to find loads that will shoot at or better than 1/2 MOA for about 85% of them. I have never had a rifle come in that I could not get to shoot sub MOA that did not have some kind of problem with it or the optics. I have even gotten 1/2 MOA out of TWO Marlin 336 rifles in 30-30. Proper ammo is the key.

Edit: Oops, forgot another one I have.
Remington 700 VTR 223 Rem = 1/4 MOA.

I also have a stock Marlin in 17HMR that is sub MOA. It's really not that hard to find a Sub MOA rifle, but first you have to be able to shoot well enough to find out what you have. LOL!

Damn, just remembered another one.
Bushmaster AR 15 = Sub MOA. This one took a LOT of barrel break in, but has shot like a champ for about 15 years.

I also have custom rifles, but I often wonder why.

This is why I voted TACOS...because I am going to have Bear break in my new X-Bolt!

And I have to pay you for that pleasure? :rofl: I'll do the shooting...you do the cleaning! ;)

Seriously...after the season is over in the north zone, I want to get that little firebreather going.

If it is a target rifle I clean it with hoppes then clean every 100 rds. If its a ar or other rifle I just shoot the hell out of it

Straight from Savage Arms website.

What is the barrel break-in procedure? [Link to this answer]

Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

Fire one round
Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore

STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

Fire a 3 shot group
Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group

STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

Fire a 5 shot group
Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1

They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

That's how I've done it for a couple of decades and I'm a firm believer

Back
Top Bottom