What are your opinions on the AR57's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwaywego

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
34   0
Reaction score
I got the wild hair to build a AR57, and wanted to know everybody's opinions. I realize there are cheaper options, but I thought it was cool. Pro/ Cons? After doing some checking, it seems that it maybe cheaper to just buy the rifle. What y"all think. Thanks in Advance.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a 5.7 upper for my AR. I like the little 5.7X28 round. I had both a PS90 and a FiveseveN at one time but ran into a cash shortage and sold them! I have a custom 5.7 barrel for my Thompson Contender and really love the way it shoots. If you already have an AR lower, it would definitely be cheaper to get just the upper and a couple of magazines.

Hey if you want a neutered, more expensive 5.56 go for it!

Yeah. My problem isn't so much the AR57, more the 5.7x28 round. It is not a very viable cartridge for anything other than shooting at rats and cans. Also, for what ammo costs why not spend the same money and get 5.56 ammo?

For the mini rant: It is NOT a serious defensive or offensive round. I know it was designed to be a PDW round to penetrate some body armor, but it really only penetrates with the non civilian available penetrator rounds. After that, you have a miniscule bullet without a lot of energy in the body. Anybody that has had them and actually shoots people have since dumped the platform. Two examples are: the Secret Service had some P90s, but they ditched those in favor of short barrel 5.56 carbines. Locally to Georgia, Duluth PD carried FN5.7s for a while but ditched them when they tried shooting guys and it didn't work so well. They've since gone to regular handgun cartridges.

So if you want an expensive and anemic wannabe rifle cartridge, get the 5.7. Otherwise go with something else like a Blackout or 9mm if you want an alternative caliber.

I have been wanting something different in the AR platform. I did think about a 9mm, but I dont like the magazine insert idea. The glock mag based ones seem a little high and hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom