What did you do for Memorial Day?

When I did my daily run, I ran an extra mile. In honor of my friends who served but never made it home.

989941_4741352897761_2095207859_o.jpg

handed out about $16-$17 in pennies.
Taught my son about the price of freedom

Rode my bike to Marietta and attended the memorial service with the Tuskegee Airmen, then hit the square, had some brews, pizza and wings, rode back and had a bbq with some friends and watched the Reds beat the Indians.

I did the slip n slide thing too, although not nearly as extreme. I know it's been a good day when my daughter passes out in the middle of her bedtime story.

handed out about $16-$17 in pennies.
Taught my son about the price of freedom

Great way to spend the day. I had to look it up, found this:
A coin left on a headstone or at the gravesite is meant as a message to the deceased soldier’s family that someone had visited the grave to pay respect.

Each coin left has a distinct meaning depending on the denomination of coin: Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that someone visited.

Leaving a nickel indicates that the visitor and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means the visitor served with the soldier in some capacity.

A quarter left at the grave tells the family the visitor was with the soldier when he was killed.

According to tradition, the money left is left at graves in national cemeteries and state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected, and the funds are put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans.

Back
Top Bottom