• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do y'all know about SOT kayaks?

image.jpeg

:thumb:

how do you think it would do with some rapids?

It did well in this small stuff! It is not nimble so as long as you don't need to turn probably ok.

I'm a big guy. 300 lbs. sit on tops are not created equal. Trust me when I tell you that the seat and leg room are everything. Hull design is important for intended use. I have a very nice tarpon 160 listed for sale... It goes down Rapids like a boss... Up fast shallow water with my big butt on it is a different story. But the seat is so comfortable you can get out on a lake all day.

As nonlib said, paddling.net is a wonderful resource.

If you're set on a sit on top, then don't read the rest of this. ;)

But.....if your primary focus is on cruising and river running, I would strongly suggest that you get a closed deck boat. For flatwater, they are faster, more nimble, and usually weigh less. As far as rivers or creeking go, a closed deck boat is much more maneuverable and comfortable going down river. Being "in" the river as opposed to being "on" the river gives you a lot more control and allows you to feel your way a little better. Also, just a thought, the water on the Nantahala is a constant 45 degrees. That's a bit too nippy for me to be on a sit on top for two hours...but that's just me.

^^^

I run a Old Town Vapor 12, Angler ... it is a Sit IN type and I couldn't be happier with it

I usually run it on Allatoona.... Crossing the channel by the blockhouse ramp with some of the yachts cruising through there, a SOT would have swamped.
I have more maneuverability and control and the feel is much more stable.
Carries the cooler, tackle, 3 rods and my fat ass just fine.

IMG_20160603_105552358.jpg

^^^

I run a Old Town Vapor 12, Angler ... it is a Sit IN type and I couldn't be happier with it

I usually run it on Allatoona.... Crossing the channel by the blockhouse ramp with some of the yachts cruising through there, a SOT would have swamped.
I have more maneuverability and control and the feel is much more stable.
Carries the cooler, tackle, 3 rods and my fat ass just fine.

View attachment 902245
I have a 10' vapor and it is a great boat, however I am more of a SOT kinda guy. My only complaint about sitting in is when fishing you must keep your arms elevated and that gets tiring!! You are correct on the maneuverability but my SOT is much more stable but that is comparing apples to oranges!

Back
Top Bottom