• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
How many can you get before they catch on?

Reason I'm asking is because we are covered to dam up here with crows.

No One hunts them anymore and they are destroying corn patches.
Sometimes just one but sometimes you get lucky and they just move a little way without leaving the field. The land owner where I hunt wants all the crows and coyotes I see shot so I try my best.

.300 Norma is BA!! But i don't want to rechamber for .338. I can barrel it to .338 which will make it what some call "edge"... I don't have a problem leaving it a .300rum and with 230gr bergers it'll go the distance. I just think a 300-338 is kinda cool.
Pics!

I have never had a true hunting rifle that wouldn't group at a 1" or so at a hundred from solid rest. Now when I go out for actual shooting conditions, leaning against a tree, kneeling, sitting etc I'm willing to shoot as far as I can pop a 2 liter every time, as long as I can hit a two liter I'm comfortable using it at that range. So different rifles are different. With my . 30-06 I would feel comfortable shooting out to 400 or so yards. With my .30-30 with irons 150 is as far as I will shoot, and with my shotgun with slugs and m1carbine and irons sights 60 yards is about as far as I will shoot. Hand guns I'm at about 35 yards max.

But I hunt my own property so by memory I know where is what distance and I have literally set out the 2 liters different ranges and shot them from different positions to make sure the field positions don't trip me up.

It may not be as stable as a bench but with proper shooting form and you off hand wrapped tightly through a sling even standing you can get damn steady.

Back
Top Bottom