• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What to do now? Advice needed.

hops2899

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
I decided to have iron sights installed on my Sav110 that the previous owner had cut to 18". Well I went to pick it up at the smith yesterday, sick and not really wanting to be out but anxious to get it back. Anyway, after waking from a long nap I decided to take a good look at the work and found that not only is the front sight well off center. But the bluing is damaged and, well, see for yourself. I am not sure what can be done to repair this. Reblue or take it down beyond where the bluing has been thinned? I did not notice the discoloration until I went to wipe off what I believed to be soot from the barrel and sight. I'll be calling the man who did the work, he seems like a nice enough guy. But I need to know what can be done to correct the problem.

Attachments

• savagesight2.jpg
    savagesight2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 43
  • savagesight3.jpg
    savagesight3.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 43
  • savagesight.jpg
    savagesight.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 39
what you see from the side may deceive you... as far as side to side... the color will never be the same

shoot it... see how she is, cold blue will never be what hot blue can do......
if you like how she is, find someone to take her for a dip

blue temps are actually very low, if it comes to it, a new dip will be cheaper than rework

Last edited:
from the pics, the guy torched it...... good, bad , whatever.....

if you're unhappy, have him bench test it, with you there

3 bags on one side and 1 on the other doesn't equal a a good test.. this ain't horseshoes, a leaner don't count

I feel like he should do it over, the way we discussed it originally, using a screw down base. He said he changed his mind because drilling and tapping was not reliable due to barrel wall thickness, although this barrel is as thick or thicker than any iron sighted rifle I own. At any rate, I had expected to get my rifle in the same condition as I left it, plus sights. As far as Rebluing, Ceracoating or Duracoating is concerned, I don't feel like I should have to pay him to fix the ugliness. I look forward to talking with him this week and seeing what we can come up with.

I would shoot it 10-20 times and see if the sights are ok as far as aim, but most importantly to see if the silver soldier job holds up and the sight stay attatched to your rifle.

Torches on gun barrels are bad.

^^^ This.^^

Drill and bottom tap. That said, silver soldering is a tried and true way to mount a sight. I am sure the chap will make good to make happy. if not... less than the time it takes to drink a cup of coffee you can have several much closer than I am to fix it for you.

What was the arrangement? Did he deviate from it without asking you? Did you sign anything? Did he? Did you get ref's and check them? Did you see any of his work? Is the solder covering an ooop's? Is it now an uber-accurate zombie tactical sniper rifle? You got some decisions to make. Shoot it first. Good luck.

Caliber?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom