• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What Would You Do? (Recent Case: Freedom Park Path Robbery)

What Would You Do? (Recent Story: Freedom Park Path Robbery)

• Pull your weapon and fire on the assailants, risking you or your wife being fired back upon.

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Comply with the assailants, because a few dollars or cell phones are not worth anyone dying over.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are 3 code sections that govern when lethal or deadly force may lawfully be used.
Defense from a forcible felony; A person is justified in using threats or force to the degree they reasonably believe it is necessary to stop another person's imminent use of unlawful force. A person is justified in using deadly force which may harm or kill only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony (unless it is regarding defense of habitation, which has it's own requirements below). You are not justified if you were the aggressor or you are/were/on-the-way-to committing a felony. (The state has pre-empted local cities and counties from further restricting this defense.)(16-3-21)

We can say what "We would do all day" but it doesn't change the fact that 99% of us act different in those situations than we think we would.

Last edited:
As a side note, after reading that story, it's almost enough to make me OC than CC. I think would be robbers would rather pick on the weaker than someone OC on their side.

I definitely would NOT consider OC to be a method of deterring robbers. If someone is really bent on robbing you they will rob you. They will just change their method of attack. With OC you are basically showing your hand. Shot on sight and then snatching your weapon (forget the money) or Putting the gun to your face and not only taking your money and phone but your gun as well.

I don't know about you guys or the mindset of the victims but living in Baltimore I've learned how to be keenly aware of my surrounds, how to read people and how to cross the street to avoid potential conflicts. Because I carry a gun doesn't change that. It doesn't make me Rambo. My first line of defense is always the brain. So chances are if I see or hear something/someone and that spidey sense starts tingling and I can't avoid the contact then I'm already going to be in the best possible decision to make a draw. The last resort I want to use is my gun, when its drawn chances are someone is going to the hospital. I'm not prepared to take a life over a $400 phone that I have insurance on. Not saying that I wouldn't its just that I'd rather not.

Sure thing. In my opinion, someone putting there hands on me would not make me fear for my life. Like the situation in the OP, being pushed to the ground by two dudes on a walking path would not make me think "Holy crap, Im gonna die!"

You don't have to be in fear for your life, just in fear of serious bodily injury. If two dudes have you on the ground, all it takes is one solid kick to your head to put you in the ICU at the very least. I think it's fair game to say you're justified in pulling your weapon here, but that's just me

You don't have to be in fear for your life, just in fear of serious bodily injury. If two dudes have you on the ground, all it takes is one solid kick to your head to put you in the ICU at the very least. I think it's fair game to say you're justified in pulling your weapon here, but that's just me

I agree. I haven't been in a fistfight in like 20 years. I'm too old to start that **** now. :lol:

The robbery, in most cases, is stopped before it ever starts. If you carry yourself like a victim, you will be treated as such. I am not blaming the victim here, but knowing how to handle a benign situation like "do you have the time" helps avoid the "give me your money" situation that may follow.

Thinking you will get that .380 out of your IWB after the bad guy's gun is pointed at you is fiction. You are not Bruce Willis and this is not the set of "Die Hard With an Atlanta Vengeance". People who keep their heads on a swivel and don't allow "some guy" to close the distance while asking for the time will never know how many bad situations they avoid.

If two guys have approached me and I've seen them in time, I've already got a firing grip on my pistol that's in my pocket. I've told them not come to any closer and to **** off more or less. Hopefully they read my body language during the "interview" and realize that I'm not a weak target. This worked once already on a guy that tried to sneak up on me in a parking lot.

Last edited:
The robbery, in most cases, is stopped before it ever starts. If you carry yourself like a victim, you will be treated as such. I am not blaming the victim here, but knowing how to handle a benign situation like "do you have the time" helps avoid the "give me your money" situation that may follow.

Thinking you will get that .380 out of your IWB after the bad guy's gun is pointed at you is fiction. You are not Bruce Willis and this is not the set of "Die Hard With an Atlanta Vengeance". People who keep their heads on a swivel and don't allow "some guy" to close the distance while asking for the time will never know how many bad situations they avoid.

Good post. Having a pistol in your face is a riveting experience . Also changes things.

when strangers approach me for no apparent reason i am already putting my self into a defensive position , clearing clothing away from my edc and gently shoving my wife back or to the side because they wont always look dangerous on approach ,the only way to be ready is to stay ready

Back
Top Bottom