When SHTF

04redmach1

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
I read a lot of guys survival ideas and take in consideration a lot of varibles. One thing I have not read about, was propane. After thinking about my "location," I decided what I will be doing.

Most do not think about it, but propane has an indefinate shelf life. So we will be putting a few larger tanks in the ground soon. We will also have a generator that runs off of propane. Curious as to why this has not been spoken much of, and have not seen on the "preppers" show either. Fuel is only good for a few weeks. Discuss.

i have some gas stored for 2 years. using it now. replacing what i take in a different drum. if you treat it right it can last 3 years. you just have do some homework. but i also have a supply of propane.

I read a lot of guys survival ideas and take in consideration a lot of varibles. One thing I have not read about, was propane. After thinking about my "location," I decided what I will be doing.

Most do not think about it, but propane has an indefinate shelf life. So we will be putting a few larger tanks in the ground soon. We will also have a generator that runs off of propane. Curious as to why this has not been spoken much of, and have not seen on the "preppers" show either. Fuel is only good for a few weeks. Discuss.
Huh? Maybe if you mix it with water. And Diesel will last much longer then gas.

This is just not true.

I think he is referring more to the 10% ethanol fuels, Which when exposed to air for even a day without stabilizer can absorb so much moisture out of the air that you have a layer of water with it.

Gas with a stabilizer will last quite awhile.

Hard to find non-ethanol now days. A few weeks is the average life of the fuel. With stabilizer, 9-12 months maybe to be safe? I would rather have a nice clean burning gas generator and leave what little gas is left for transportation.

Yeah, I do not have any long term plans that involve gas. I have about 2 tanks worth of gas at my house. (Just enough to get out of dodge if need be) With stabilizer gas becomes somewhat of a crap shoot after 10-12 months with regards to reliability and performance. I keep room size propane heater for natural disasters and enough propane to get me through at least one bad winter or 2-3 usual georgia winters. The fact remains that even if you keep a bunch of gas stored up properly you will go through it very quickly and you cannot count on finding more until things return to what ever will pass as normal.

Also crude oil brakes down at a slower rate but still breaks down in the scope of 2-3 years once exposed to oxygen. Which means that the some 800 million barrels of crude that the federal goverment keeps for emergencies will also be on a ticking clock. I mean we will be lucky if we see much of it put to any use other than national defense but it would be nice to think that there would be some allocated to various health and safety causes.

Gas Last for a few years properly stored in the right container if your going to store gas you do not want to go cheap on the container just like your food your not going to spend ton of money on storing food and go cheap on the container

Back
Top Bottom