• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where are my catfish??

curious as to what kind of catfish did you purchase? I’m getting ready to stock my pond and haven’t decided between channel or blue. Right now I mostly have small bass.
Channels would be my choice if you want a balanced pond. Blues are a predatory species. Once those blue cats get to 5 lbs say good by to everything else. They get huge and can be a blast to catch but will over take a small pond and eat themselves out of house and home. Be prepared to stock plenty of adult bream every year to provide forage for them.

Channels would be my choice if you want a balanced pond. Blues are a predatory species. Once those blue cats get to 5 lbs say good by to everything else. They get huge and can be a blast to catch but will over take a small pond and eat themselves out of house and home. Be prepared to stock plenty of adult bream every year to provide forage for them.
Yeah it’s kinda of a catch 22 for me. Right now the previous owner didn’t do anything to the pond and it’s full of small bass that I don’t care for. Will the blues eat bass too? Lol

Did you have the camera there before you realized your fish were gone? Otters and cranes can empty a modern size lake/pond pretty quick then they move on.
Yes I did. I have always had at least one camera most of the time I have 2 or 3 just.to see what's coming to get.a.drink around the pond, lots of raccoon opossum deer turkey and yotes. thanks jim

curious as to what kind of catfish did you purchase? I’m getting ready to stock my pond and haven’t decided between channel or blue. Right now I mostly have small bass.
Have only tried channel cats mosty.got them from Bowens mill fishery near Abbyville from the DNR cost about $30.00 per 100 best.price but you have to sign up to get them. Check out their web page on the GA DNR site. Hope you have good luck

Directions: Add one stick of dynamite to a weight.
Light fuse and drop in middle of pond.
Use fishnet to scoop up floating fish.
Count species and make list.
Have big fish fry and marinate on suspected problems if any.

Back
Top Bottom