• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which recoil spring do I need?

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
Accidentally bent up my recoil spring for my Springfield loaded 1911. I'm looking at Wilson Combats website and there are all sorts of different recoil springs for the 5" 1911. There are so many weights and I'm reading conflicting stuff on the web. Which weight or "number" should I go with?

Should I go ahead and get a full length guide rod as well? It appears that most folks do not think it makes any difference aside from easier take down.

Thanks!

The standard recoil spring is 16 lbs. for factory hardball ammo. Wolff makes "progressive" springs that I really like. Check Midwayusa.com they have a nice selection. Some manufacturers supply heavier springs, up to 18 lbs to help ensure the gun returns to battery more reliably. If you hand load, you could drop down to 14. The reason there are so many available options is because 1911s come in so many calibers. My favorite for standard .45 ammo is the Wolff 17 lb progressive.

The full length guide rod is a personal preference. I like them, some purists don't. There are a few, very small advantages ( a little extra weight at the muzzle/ ability to remove slide and bbl together/ etc.) If you try one, stick with a one piece.

Back
Top Bottom