• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which Suppressor??

RIDDLE

Default rank 5000+ posts
Stuff and Things
88   0
Reaction score
Ok, I finally decided to go buy a suppressor or 2. I pretty much have made my mind up on a Yankee Hill Ti Phaton in .30cal so that I can use it on 7.62 and 5.56. I would like to be able to run .22lr also. I'm looking for light and compact, price is of little concern.

I'm thinking about picking up a .45 can while I'm at it. How well do they work on 9mm?? I am correct in assuming that I will not be able to use my sights on most guns? Also, who makes the smallest one that still works well??

I wouldnt use the .30 cal on the 22 for 2 reason. Mostly cleanablity and secondly size. Lead build up is no joke and the TI can wont like the dip therefore your putting yourself in a bad place.

As far as the pistol can, look at the Osprey 45. Great can, lowest top line profile, hearing safe, and you can purchase a 9mm adapter for it.

Al those look great but the best advice to get a dedicated 22 suppresor as well

I wouldnt use the .30 cal on the 22 for 2 reason. Mostly cleanablity and secondly size. Lead build up is no joke and the TI can wont like the dip therefore your putting yourself in a bad place.

As far as the pistol can, look at the Osprey 45. Great can, lowest top line profile, hearing safe, and you can purchase a 9mm adapter for it.

Al those look great but the best advice to get a dedicated 22 suppresor as well

The reason I was thinking about this is because my friend has a gemtech 5.56 and they told it was fine to run .22 through it. Just to shoot 30rds of 5.56 right afterwards to clean it out???

It will be fine to shoot it, a 22 has no were near the pressure of the 30 cal rounds. lead aint gonna get blasted out if you shoot large calibers through it. Got to dip, tumble, or scrape it out that stuff gets stuck in there deep.

If you plan on doing lots of 22 shooting get the 22 can that is user servicable. If you plan on shooting a critter in your yard every few days you'll prob be ok.

Also the 30cal can off a 22 pistol might throw of the balance a tad bit

Titanium is safe to dip.

buy a dedicated 22lr can. you will have to thread your 556 and 22lr to 5/8x24. thats a HUGE thread for any 22 pistol hosts and the weight will be BAD. my heavy AAC element wights 5oz. my lighter than YHM Ti, TTF Archangel is 14.7oz. still heavy for anything 22. 22lr also BAKES onto your baffles and is a PITA to get off without using the dip or a dremel. if the YHM is user serviceable then by all means.

titanium doesnt handle heat well. avoid mag dumps in AR's. if all you want it for is bolt guns then Ti is the way to go. if you want to run it through high volumes of 308 or 223. go stainless. also, not to dissuade you from the YHM but you get a better can for the same money from Thunderbeast, SAS and TTF. for a bit more cash outlay the AWC THOR ti and AAC mk13/300 TM and new Surefire SOCOM are all top notch cans. Liberty also makes good cans to my understanding. CAW and QRF stock them me thinks.

in summary buy a stainless or titanium dedicated 22lr can. if i could do it again i would get the SilencerCo sparrow SS. you can go aluminum but you will murder the nearest living thing trying to brush the lead off. read up and use the DIP

if buying a multi use 308/300wm can, Ti is fine. preferred in the POI shift department but avoid mag dumps and heat over 700F. if you just want to blast away...go stainless. centerfire cans will outlast you before they need cleaning so user serviceable isnt required, sound better when dirty anyways. for a pistol can, go with what looks cool. they all do about the same. dont worry about higher sights. just pretend the can isnt there. it works better than you think.

http://www.suppressedarmament.com/762-suppressors/arbiter.html
http://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30p-1
http://www.eliteiron.net/elite-iron-suppressors-page2.html
http://www.templartacticalfirearms.com/shop/suppressors/archangel-30-cal-suppressor/

Last edited:
You need a dedicated 22 can. Even if you find something user serviceable like a mystic, most are too heavy and to enjoy on a 22. If money is no problem, get an Essence. Sparrow is a good can too and a bit easier to clean but, the essence is lighter and has less FRP. I have both and both are great but its an essence for the win.

A 45 can will sound good on a 9mm host but not as quiet as a dedicated 9mm can. I have an osprey 45. If I had it to do over, I'd get a Tirant 45 because it is user serviceable. Pb buildup can be an issue when shooting 9mm through it. I like them both though and you would enjoy either.

I have an AAC SDN-6 for 30 cal and 556. I'd go with something else if I could because I dislike the mount system AAC used. The YHM you mentioned is a better choice IMO.

You could cover a lot of ground with one from each category.

Gonna be hard to find a light 30 cal can the yhm ti with mount is heavier than a few steel 223 cans ,and alot longer .If you want light and decide to get a 30 cal ,and 223 a gemtec trek t is only a 8 oz overall gain . I was only gonna get 30 cal cans ,but size ,and weight caused me to get the one I showed you the other night .

The YHM Ti Phantoms are FANTASTIC cans for the price, weight, and size. And unlike a lot of other titanium can, it has inconel baffles, meaning longevity and strength. I would recommend the QD if it will go on 308s and ARs. The YHM 556 mounts are compatible with the 762 cans.

In your situation, you will need another can most likely though. I know I sell cans and all, but you should really look at the TM QMF-2 I have coming in. It is super light, has a multitude of mounts, and is a take apart monocore. It will be just fine on anything from a ruger mkIII to a USP45T. Also for 9mm as you eluded. IT will block your sights on most guns, but most cans do, you get used to it. I was ringing my 100yd gong and running 15yd drills just fine with my G19 and my Isis9mm the other day.

+1 on the Osprey .45! A friend of mine let me shoot his and I went a bought one for myself the following weekend! It's awesome how the bore axis is of the can! My friend has the same gun as I do, FNP .45 tactical. I've read on different forums the the Osprey will quiet down a 9mm just fine. I can't wait to try it out on my 9mm as well! The Performance of the Osprey is impressive! It's very light for its size and looks cool as well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 17
+1 on the Osprey .45! A friend of mine let me shoot his and I went a bought one for myself the following weekend! It's awesome how the bore axis is of the can! My friend has the same gun as I do, FNP .45 tactical. I've read on different forums the the Osprey will quiet down a 9mm just fine. I can't wait to try it out on my 9mm as well! The Performance of the Osprey is impressive! It's very light for its size and looks cool as well!

Thats a nice CAN! I bought myself a Osprey 9 too! Cherokee took care both of us ;D I got lucky too! I got the last Osprey where it came with a piston. I know most ospreys now don't come with pistons, you have to buy your own!

Back
Top Bottom