• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who lead the hunting with supressor fight in GA?

Jack O A T

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance on this issue, but I have a member of another forum in Maine who is interested in beginning the push for legalization of hunting with suppressors there. What organizations lead the fight here and are there any good contacts or resource links I can pass along to him? Thanks in advance.

We also had some helpful legislators. Bill Heath worked to get the suppressor language added to our gun bill this year.

I've learned and have been working on getting to know my reps. It will pay off dividends for your friend to find a 2a supporter on the inside.

The sponsors of SB93, the law which was a stand-alone silencer hunting law for GA before those things got put into HB60, were the following Senators in the Georgia General Assembly:

Sponsors

(1) Heath, Bill 31st

(2) Gooch, Steve 51st

(3) Tolleson, Ross 20th

(4) Shafer, David 48th

(5) Mullis, Jeff 53rd

(6) Dugan, Mike 30th

I'd contact them and see what gun groups or Second Amendment rights groups lobbied for this bill, and what tactics or arguments they offered that were particulary effective in getting support for it.

P.S. Note that in Georgia, the new law will only allow silencer hunting on public lands that are designated for such activity by the DNR. It seems that the DNR has no interest in opening up any public hunting lands for the use of suppressor equipped firearms, and right now they're not even considering it.
So we may have more lobbying to do in Georgia if we want silencer-wearing firearms to be as welcome as unsuppressed firearms for hunting on public land.

Last edited:
The sponsors of SB93, the law which was a stand-alone silencer hunting law for GA before those things got put into HB60, were the following Senators in the Georgia General Assembly:

Sponsors

(1) Heath, Bill 31st

(2) Gooch, Steve 51st

(3) Tolleson, Ross 20th

(4) Shafer, David 48th

(5) Mullis, Jeff 53rd

(6) Dugan, Mike 30th

I'd contact them and see what gun groups or Second Amendment rights groups lobbied for this bill, and what tactics or arguments they offered that were particulary effective in getting support for it.

P.S. Note that in Georgia, the new law will only allow silencer hunting on public lands that are designated for such activity by the DNR. It seems that the DNR has no interest in opening up any public hunting lands for the use of suppressor equipped firearms, and right now they're not even considering it.
So we may have more lobbying to do in Georgia if we want silencer-wearing firearms to be as welcome as unsuppressed firearms for hunting on public land.

Thanks! Good info that I'll pass along.

BTW, good article in GON about the changes in laws. I would have liked to see more explanation of the requirement for landowner permission though. It is not clear to me if the landowner has to SPECIFICALLY allow the suppressor use. Is that one of the things that need to be resolved or is everyone in agreement that specific permission is required?

Back
Top Bottom