• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who makes the most cost effective suppressors? Something for occassional use?

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
I know it sounds like a weird question. I purchased this PSA Dagger 9mm with threaded barrel for $300. I'd like to put a suppressor on it to use at night when critters come around the house, and not wake up the family or my neighbors about 300 yards away. I've seen suppressors for sale from $265 (out of stock of course from a store in NE) to over a thousand. Tax stamp price and wait time aside, who makes a cheap suppressor that would work for occassional use? I won't be popping caps in it weekly, probably more like a couple times year.

In general, you get what you pay for, so with that covered, there are a couple of considerations.

1. Caliber(s) - do you intend to only shoot 9mm? In essence, if you want a one-can-for-everything solution, purchase based on the largest caliber you want to shoot.
2. Degree of silencing. Usually, the more you pay, the quieter it is. If you're looking for something in the 'funsies' category, if you use subsonic ammo (for 9mm, most 147 grain is either subsonic or close to it)
3. Watch out for hidden costs. One thing is that on a pistol with a tillting barrel, you may need to purchase a Nielsen Device (Booster). Some manufacturers provide them with the can, some don't.
4. Ability to clean and/or maintain the can yourself. At some point in the future, depending on usage, ammo etc, you're going to want to clean the can. Is this an easy job, or is it a nightmare. You might not be shooting it often, but some cans can be a real beast to clean.

If you're prepared to be patient, can companies will offer some great promotional deals from time to time, and in some cases, they'll cut the price of a can by up to 25%.

There are manufacturers like Rugged who have good cans normally in the $850 range, which can be got at the moment for about $650. CGS are a little less at $600 ish. I haven't shot one, but Yankee Hill have their fans, with offerings starting in at $400-ish. I think there's an absolute floor on the cost though - probably at the 300-ish mark if you want a can that is at all effective.

In general, you get what you pay for, so with that covered, there are a couple of considerations.

1. Caliber(s) - do you intend to only shoot 9mm? In essence, if you want a one-can-for-everything solution, purchase based on the largest caliber you want to shoot.
2. Degree of silencing. Usually, the more you pay, the quieter it is. If you're looking for something in the 'funsies' category, if you use subsonic ammo (for 9mm, most 147 grain is either subsonic or close to it)
3. Watch out for hidden costs. One thing is that on a pistol with a tillting barrel, you may need to purchase a Nielsen Device. Some manufacturers provide them with the can, some don't.
4. Ability to clean and/or maintain the can yourself. At some point in the future, depending on usage, ammo etc, you're going to want to clean the can. Is this an easy job, or is it a nightmare. You might not be shooting it often, but some cans can be a real beast to clean.

If you're prepared to be patient, can companies will offer some great promotional deals from time to time, and in some cases, they'll cut the price of a can by up to 25%.

There are manufacturers like Rugged who have good cans normally in the $850 range, which can be got at the moment for about $650. CGS are a little less at $600 ish. I haven't shot one, but Yankee Hill have their fans, with offerings starting in at $400-ish. I think there's an absolute floor on the cost though - probably at the 300-ish mark if you want a can that is at all effective.
R9 is crazy quiet on a Glock with 147 grain ammo. Like you said you have to add a $50 booster housing and $30-$50 booster to be ready to go on a Glock.

Is there a generally accepted " best suppressor " for a .22 rifle ? As in inexpensive , easy to clean , decent sound reduction.
Same rules apply as for larger calibers, although a rifle won't need a booster. There's a lot less metal in a 22 can, so they're cheaper (but the ability to clean them is maybe even more important - 22 is dirty, dirty ammo)

I've seen Gemtechs pretty cheap. I own a Dead Air Mask. To some degree "best suppressor" based on sound level is dependent on the ammo you use and what frequencies the can is best at eliminating. Places like Silencershop typically only sell the more reputable models.

Reactions: A34
Im a Mod9sk fan boy for 9mm. The CGO Mod9 would be my go to if I didnt want something short. For 22s the Deadair Mask is hard to beat. If your in the Atlanta area, shoot me a DM :) Its usually cheaper to buy from a dealer than paying an NFA transfer!

You don't want to go cheap with NFA items, you go with what you really want and try to find the best price.

For 22lr, the mask is King. Weight is its only negative, which isn't bad, but compared to some that weigh next to nothing...

For 9mm, Obsidian is very popular for many reasons, but sound being a very good reason. The R9 will not be as quiet, but definitely a good option.

For quietly taking out critters around the neighborhood, this is what you seek:
1660332268153.png

I took the "Buy once, Cry once" approach.

My bank account has *nearly* recovered.

Dead Air Sandman S
Dead Air Mask
Dead Air Ghost M

Why Dead Air? Partly just the luck of the draw when I was researching them (although they are good cans) but also the manufacturer 'stacking' deals that you can get sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom