Who Said $100 Mosin Nagant's Were Gone Forever?

boxer90

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
Disclaimer: $119.99 + Alabama sales moles ... tax came to $130 total.

Stopped by one of the local pawn shops yesterday on my way out to do some errands. Saw a Mosin Nagant in the rifle section and I got excited considering what it was and what it was priced at. Put it on layaway as I didn't have time to do the paperwork and went back today to spring it out of shooty jail.

I can see why they priced it so low, but I don't think she can be wrote off as a parts gun quite yet. Combination of gunpowder, dust, cosmoline, and God knows what else has built up over the years, and literally looks as if someone shot it a few times and stored it away for a decade or two. They got in several rifles in similar condition, and I'm assuming this was part of some guy's estate that didn't necessarily take care of his stuff. Didn't think to ask but just a feeling.

Regardless, so far I know that it has a pair of initials engraved into the stock, the barrel bands are going to be a PITA to remove, and the barrel has rust coming out of the crown. Most concerned about the barrel but won't know the full damage until I can get it down to the stripped action. Will also let me see the tang, and I'm hoping I hit the lottery with a pre-98 receiver. At least it's not sporterized! Both ends of the handguard have three nails inserted, and I can't tell if this was some kind of armory repair or decoration but I'm leaning decoration.

Will post more pictures as I get it apart, but it's a 1941 Tikka barrel on an unknown receiver but I'm seeing the usual hodgepodge of Tula and Izhevsk parts. The crud on the bolt face wiped right off, so it's not as bad as it looks.

Attachments

• DSC02328.JPG
    DSC02328.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02329.JPG
    DSC02329.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC02333.JPG
    DSC02333.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC02332.JPG
    DSC02332.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 167
Nothing a little elbow grease won't take care of.

They didn't happen to have cheap tins of ammo, did they?

Nothing a little elbow grease won't take care of.

They didn't happen to have cheap tins of ammo, did they?

No. They have in the past but nothing recent. In fact, I haven't seen any local place with x54 tins in a while, unless you count Gander Mountain or Academy. But they did have a Marlin 336CS in .30-30 for $249 I'd buy if I wanted a lever, but I don't. A truck/beater gun cosmetically but the action felt smooth.

Whoa Nelly!

That bolt face is pretty knarly!

It wiped off with a rag. Underneath looks solid. Receiver looks good, bolt looks good, barrel I'm worried about with the amount of rust I'm seeing at both ends. I'll have to disassemble and inspect the bolt for sure, but it's moving well and it does dry fire.

Going back to work on it in an hour or so and hope to have it completely apart. Letting some oil soak on a couple of screws right now.

At worst, I have a parts gun with a donor receiver for a sporter build, at best I have an original Finnish M91 in fair+ condition. Either way, well worth what I paid.

Back
Top Bottom