• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WHO YOU SAY IS THE GUITAR PLAYER

There is no such thing as the greatest guitar player. It’s all subjective and too broad. Best at what? Technical playing? Writing/playing the best sounding stuff? Most influential? Best at a particular style?

Of course the average guy will name his favorite player(s) from his favorite bands(s). They are not wrong or right.

There are session guys out there who most have never heard of who will blow the doors off most any famous player.

There is no such thing as the greatest guitar player. It’s all subjective and too broad. Best at what? Technical playing? Writing/playing the best sounding stuff? Most influential? Best at a particular style?

Of course the average guy will name his favorite player(s) from his favorite bands(s). They are not wrong or right.

There are session guys out there who most have never heard of who will blow the doors off most any famous player.
And thanks to YouTube, you might stumble across someone in their mom’s basement that’ll make a pro look silly. There’s some amazing talent out there. Not everyone seeks stardom. Playing a guitar isn’t even half the job of being a famous guitar player.

That said, I think Guthrie Govan would cover both sides. Amazing player and famous, kinda.

Any many would mistake those same session players as the famous player on the recording. Many times, they aren't even credited.

Ya'll ain't wrong.
I also forgot Alvin Lee and Rory Gallagher, among a handful of others, I'm sure.

Reactions: MRH
Jerry Reed. One of the greatest guitarists of all time. Chet Atkins gave him the title of “certified guitar player”, in which there were only a handful that Chet ever gave that distinction. They played in the studio and onstage together countless times for decades.

Jerry was one of the greatest masters to ever step in or out of Nashville.

The first time Elvis ever met Jerry they had called and brought Jerry in from a fishing trip just to play the session. He was unshaven and in muddy boots. He looked like a grubby hobo. Elvis did not know what to think. After Jerry started playing for about 30 seconds Elvis said, “yep, that’s our guy!”

I just realized I had not added a name to this list, so Danny Gatton is a name I will add to the list. When Chet Atkins and Les Paul get together just to come watch you play, you have arrived.

Johnny Hiland is another one. He is a Danny Gatton disciple. Insane talent. One of the nicest guys in the music business too.

If you enjoy great guitar, get to know those 2.

Jerry Reed. One of the greatest guitarists of all time. Chet Atkins gave him the title of “certified guitar player”, in which there were only a handful that Chet ever gave that distinction. They played in the studio and onstage together countless times for decades.

Jerry was one of the greatest masters to ever step in or out of Nashville.

The first time Elvis ever met Jerry they had called and brought Jerry in from a fishing trip just to play the session. He was unshaven and in muddy boots. He looked like a grubby hobo. Elvis did not know what to think. After Jerry started playing for about 30 seconds Elvis said, “yep, that’s our guy!”

I just realized I had not added a name to this list, so Danny Gatton is a name I will add to the list. When Chet Atkins and Les Paul get together just to come watch you play, you have arrived.

Johnny Hiland is another one. He is a Danny Gatton disciple. Insane talent. One of the nicest guys in the music business too.

If you enjoy great guitar, get to know those 2.
Johnny Hiland is phenomenal

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom