• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why I won't own Springfield Armory Inc Guns.

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
I have been asked a couple of times what my deal is with SAI guns.

Here you go.

This is the Springfield Armory in Springfield Mass that was originally set up by George Washington in 1777.

mass.historicbuildingsct.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_04_Main_Arsenal.jpg

This building has nothing to do with the company Springfield Armory Inc which apparently can't even get their dates right on their logo.

media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_822_822152.jpg

It is interesting they would put 1794 on their logo since the REAL Springfield Armory started producing guns in 1777. The real Springfield Armory built guns until it was closed down in 1968. In 1974 Elmer Ballance registered the trade mark "Springfield Armory" and started producing guns built in Texas. Ballance was building the M1A with surplus USGI parts. Later the company was sold to the Reese family and moved to Geneseo Illinois.

The current Springfield Armory Inc. is hardly a manufacture. Everything they sell is imported with the exception of the "Professional" which is still built on an imported frame and slide from Brazil which they just do the final finishing in Illinois. I can't find the numbers at the moment, but as of 2006 Springfield Armory Inc had only built something like 1500 guns total with the balance of their guns being imported.

This is Springfield Armory Inc.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Not quite the huge firearms Giant they make themselves out to be and most certainly not "The First Name in American Firearms" as they claim. Especially when you consider part of the buildings you see in the satelitte photo are a liqour store, a grocery store, and a daycare. Notice they don't even have a fence around the building like they do at Glock, Colt, Smith and Wesson, etc.?

To be continued in next post.

Last edited:
Now lets talk about "their" guns.

The M1A

The M1A is built with Chinese, Canadian, Taiwanese, and American Parts. Spend 15 minutes over at the M14 forum and you will see that the M1A is not all is their advertising would lead you to believe. Their receivers are cast not forged like USGI and almost certainly always out of spec. Their barrels are not chrome lined like USGI, and the balance of their parts are a mixture of cast and MIM parts. Their extractors are known junk and is the number one part recommended to be replaced on a new M1A. Many times the extractors break before the gun hits 100 rounds and needs to be replaced. In Springfields defense, they have a great warranty which is good because if you buy one of their guns you will most certainly need it. There receivers are known to be out of spec, which makes it nearly impossible to scope the guns.

Their 1911s are actually imported Imbel 1911s from Brazil. Even the few guns that they do finish here in the US are built on Imbel forgings. This is what the gun actually looked like before Springfield started importing them and slapping their names on them.
www.firearmsforum.com_I39660.jpg

The XD line is of course nothing more than the imported HS2000 made in Croatia
[Broken External Image]:

And of course let us not forget their other offerings.

The Springfield Armory P9 which was just a Tanfoglio TZ-75 stamped Springfield and imported to the US
[Broken External Image]:

farm4.static.flickr.com_3651_3582143954_b52e4efdcc_b.jpg

So you have an importer, that can't even get its dates right, importing guns and slapping their name on them wanting us to believe that they are "The First Name in American Firearms" when the fact of the matter is everything the offer was considered cheap junk before they slapped their name on it. Meh. They can keep their crap.

They bought a croation pos and put there name on it..... Im not a xd fan and that has killed there rep having to outsource a 275$ pistol.

They outsource EVERYTHING! They are not a manufacture. As a company they do not manufacture anything. They are an importer, no different that Century.

To many people put to much trust into the name Springfield Armory. I know I did at one point I sold one of my Glocks years back went to the store to buy another Glock the place did not carry Glocks handed me a XD I like the way it felt saw the name Springfield bought it for 575. Practice with it had some issues with the grip safety. Did some research which I should have done in the 1st place found out what it was had a situation come up to where I thought I would need my gun onlything I thought about is my hand on this safety properly got back in the car looked at my wife and said i'm done with this gun went right back to Glock

Back
Top Bottom