• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wichita lineman (or Ga Power) - my son is interested in this field, how does he get on?

Georgia Power, and most of the Southern Company companies, do their own training from entry level to your chosen (or directed) specialty field. Often times, you start as a laborer at one of the facilities, then they send you to basic schooling which helps them learn and assess your abilities. As jobs are posted in your desired area, and if you are qualified, you can then bid on the vacancy, which is normally filled be seniority and/or education. Degreed engineers progress rather quickly where others are more of a "wait and see" approach, again depending on the jobs in your progression (lineman, electrician, mechanic, operator, etc.).

For linemen and/or substation progression, I would start here...

General questions, here...

It’s an exciting time:
B4F194DC-D29B-4A26-BBF8-90F65F910584.jpeg

Yep. He is 19 without anything to tie him down (not even a car payment) and my refrigerator could use a break while he is away! I spoke with a guy at Ga Power and he "thinks" its all on the individual. Not sure if some of the EMC's may approach that differently.
The tech college here has a lineman program.

NJATC, training branch of the IBEW. Multi year apprenticeship that provides all the schooling and meanwhile you work as a trainee and get paid decent. Normally you take jobs out of the hiring hall and can opt for different types of work like residential electric, low voltage and high voltage. High voltage will be the highest pay in the long run. Call your local union hall and ask questions. It can be competitive to get accepted since they are providing a somewhat expensive education so they’ll be looking at his grades and demeanor, looking for people that are bright and likely to stick with it long term since that is how the union gets paid back…..dues over decades

Lineman school is expensive and doesn't guarantee you a job, or even really help a lot. Most lineman schools are out west and it's regional training. A lot of it can apply but they all do things differently. AT&T is looking for technicians for sure but not for Construction (Lineman). They are looking for installers, installing fiber from the street to the house/business. Then setting up routers,etc. Not a bad job, learn basic fiber splicing, some system interfacing, basic networking, customer facing skills, etc. but it is not "Line" work, or "phone" work. They have changed the hours up a lot for installers. Work the majority of weekends and evenings. Not an 8-5 job with OT like historically. It's different now.
Like someone else mentioned, if he wants to get into Lineman work, look for some of the regional contractors like PIKE and start as an apprentice. Within 3-5 years should be a journeyman an able to hire on with an EMC or Georgia Power (provided openings exist). That's my opinion anyway.

My son is interested in becoming a lineman. It looks like the only way to do this is to attend one of the lineman schools for a couple of months for $12,000 - $20,000 in tuition. Anyone know if "lineman school" is a requirement? And if so, is it worth the cost of admission?
I would try local EMC.

Back
Top Bottom