Wild pigs have taken over our HC

I’m no pig pro but old folks waited til the first frost to kill pigs. The HC is about 45 min from my processor so I’m king of worried about the warm temps now for keeping meat unless I take a cooler and dress myself. I’m sure that boar won’t be fit to eat.
No reason to wait until cooler weather. I shoot a bunch on my local WMA in small game season, Aug-Sept. I like to zip them up the back (gutless method), quarter and pack the meat straight back to the truck. As long as you get the meat on ice within an hour or two you’ll be fine. The meat cools pretty quickly once you get it off the carcass. Just don’t drag whole pigs for hours in the heat, or toss them whole in the back of the truck to skin later.

OP, Shoot those pigs an eat them man. Or build some coral traps. They are good eating, and fun to hunt. Sucks they overrun deer property, but putting out corn and bait is asking for them.

Kill em. Kill em all. Kill em all in the face till they die from it! Shoot the sows first. You will always miss a shot you don't take and you don't get extra points for bringing ammo back to camp. Well, that's what we say bout pigs anyways

I’d go ahead & put up some figure 6 Corral Traps. Catch as many as possible,then shoot the rest. Sows first! With that many now...there will be 200 next year...and it grows exponentially from there. They are the worst kind of nuisance on a Farm,or hunting land! They outbreed everything else & run deer & turkeys off food sources,destroy food plots,roads,pastures,etc,etc.

I’m no pig pro but old folks waited til the first frost to kill pigs. The HC is about 45 min from my processor so I’m king of worried about the warm temps now for keeping meat unless I take a cooler and dress myself. I’m sure that boar won’t be fit to eat.

I used to work in Louisiana a lot: brucellosis is a real concern out there & I don’t see how it isn’t an issue here.

I’d wait till 2 frost myself, just like I do with deer but I don’t think brucellosis is effected by frost?

Read up on this-

https://vet.uga.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/diseases_of_feral_swine_brochure.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just get the guts out as soon as possible and then if you are going to be more than a few hours before getting to the processor you can pack the body cavity with ice.
Brucellosis is a concern but has nothing to do with weather temp. Always wear gloves when field dressing swine and be careful not to touch your face or any open cuts.

I’d go ahead & put up some figure 6 Corral Traps. Catch as many as possible,then shoot the rest. Sows first! With that many now...there will be 200 next year...and it grows exponentially from there. They are the worst kind of nuisance on a Farm,or hunting land! They outbreed everything else & run deer & turkeys off food sources,destroy food plots,roads,pastures,etc,etc.

What this guy said! We did a figure 6 trap. Easy setup and cheap compared to the damage they can do

Back
Top Bottom