Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Herder

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
It’s important to know when to throw out the plan
217   0
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I need your help on resolving an issue with a Model 70. The Safety seemed for a long time to be frozen in the "Fire" position...Never a good thing...I went out on the web and saw a lot of folks had experienced a similar problem. I removed the bolt from the receiver, unscrewed the firing pin assembly from the bolt sleeve and released the spring. In the "half-moon notch" where the safety cams back and to, there was a bright spot inside the "notch." Under the spring pressure, the firing pin was moving about a 1/16th of an inch when I tried to move the safety between "Fire" and "Safe." In the pics below you can see the shiny spot worn into the notch. The cam does not seem to show very much wear at all. Sorry for the iPhone pics...all I had...

IMG_0021-cropped.jpg

This shot shows the "notch" so you can get your bearings...

IMG_0022_cropped.jpg

This shot shows the spot of wear where the safety cam contacts the wall of the "notch" under spring pressure. Note the scratch along the side of the firing pin leading into the wear area.

The advice on the web was to carefully and slowly remove a few thousandth of metal from this area, taking a little off, reassembling the bolt, putting it back into the receiver and checking for function. My questions to the assembled wisdom here are: Does the scratch along the side of the firing pin leading up to the wear spot in the "notch" mean anything special to your more experienced eyes? Does the position of the worn area mean anything special to you? I feel pretty comfortable with ever so slowly filing down by just a few thousandths that area of the notch. If what you see here indicates additional problems, let me know and I have no problem taking it to a smith for repair. I know my limitations and know I will bump up against them pretty quickly! :) If I do the filing, will it be a good idea to use some cold blue on these surfaces to prevent rust once everything is working smoothly?

Thanks for taking a look at this and I will appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone cares to make. If anyone would like to see more pics or pics of other parts of the firing pin - not sure I can get an inside shot of the cocking shroud where the safety sits - please let me know either here in the thread or through a pm. Be as specific as possible so I get what you need to see in focus. One last bit of info - this is a super shadow in 300 wsm, in case that matters...

Thanks again and Merry Christmas, Y'all!

I have seen a good bit of problems out of the Winchester safeties. I personally think they could improve them. I had one on a .270 that lost the detents in the safety so it would just glide from position to position without the "clicks". I had to replace it to be safe. I called Winchester and they refused to send me any parts for it without an FFL 01, so I went through Brownells and got a new one. Winchester also wanted me to ship the rifle to them on my dime and pay for the fix.
I also know of a buddy's 30-06 Winchester Model 70 that you have to wiggle the safety to get it to fire. I am not a fan of these safeties. Be careful when working on safeties, it could render your gun useless if done wrong. Remember you can take more off, but not put any more on.

Thanks, EMC...

I wanted to update anyone curious enough to read this or who might suffer from the same problem at a later date. I very carefully took some 220 grit aluminum oxide emery paper and polished up the area where the safety had rubbed the shiny spot. I didn't have a way to measure but I didn't take off but a very few thousandths. The words to live by in this project are be patient and go slow, reassemble and check for function frequently. I degreased the area thoroughly before I reassembled the bolt to check function - to clear the aluminum away from the steel. The firing pin spring is fairly easy to release but a bear to re-compress if you don't have serious shop space and the tools to go along with that. I didn't have those things and it took some time, a lot of patience and a few choice words to get the spring compressed and re-seated. I re-assembled the bolt and returned it to the receiver. The safety articulates freely now with just a bit of stiffness - nothing like it was before. I don't mind that and it held the firing pin in both the "safe" position and the intermediate unloading position. Once I saw it was functioning properly, I removed the bolt sleeve again and lubricated the internals. After having so much difficulty with the spring, I'm not taking the bolt completely apart again to reblue the rear of the firing pin and the half moon notch where I sanded. One day when I have a better set up for a project like this and the right tools, I might go back and do those things. I don't have pictures, I wasn't planning on getting it right the first time and figured on successive disassembles I could snap a photo or two. Sorry but it's back together and functioning as it was intended and the way it should have come from the factory. I'm smart enough to leave well enough alone..............for now. :) Good luck to you if you get one like this too!

Last edited:
Good news Cat.I have been checking the forums on this and that was pretty much the major concensus.slow and go,slow and go.Glad you got it on the first slow and go.Touch it up with a sharpie.

Thanks, Biker...I read a lot of what was out there too before I decided I could do this myself. I have an older Model 70 that has never given a minute's trouble...I guess this is what happens when Winchester decided to cut corners.

Thanks, Biker...I read a lot of what was out there too before I decided I could do this myself. I have an older Model 70 that has never given a minute's trouble...I guess this is what happens when Winchester decided to cut corners.

Its the new workers,they don't give a ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom