• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Winchester 67 Beater Stock Rehab

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
I've had a 1930's(?) Winchester 67 single shot 22lr for years. It was rough when I got it but I love this thing. A few people have shot their first round ever through it. ODT'er Loadnplenty reblued it for me years ago. Just recently, I got an extra old beater stock from him. It's already cut down to youth size which will be a perfect addition. It needs work though. Before I start butchering this thing worse, thought I'd post some before pics. Wish me luck.

- Someone started carving a more pistol grip into the stock on one side so it needs to be evened out.
- The stock doesn't fit the barrel so I'll need to carve out some of the inside (in the side-by-side pic, the original stock is on top)
- It has some kind of shellac or polyurethane finish. After the re-shape, I'll probably use Tru-Oil.
- All the screws and barrel escutcheon (had to look that up) are missing
- Trigger guard needs to be reshaped and re-blued.

Anyone have a good source for wood stock screws?

Anyone have tips on how to reshape the stock evenly? I plan on just eyeballing it but if there's an amateur friendly trick to it, let me know.

Attachments

• 20210414_130056.jpg
    20210414_130056.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210414_130139.jpg
    20210414_130139.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210414_130145.jpg
    20210414_130145.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210414_130111.jpg
    20210414_130111.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210414_134754.jpg
    20210414_134754.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 30
I once took a birch Ruger 10/22 stock and used rasps, files, chisels, sandpaper and even a belt sander at certain points to get it down to extra slim dimensions for a 10-year-old kid.

I got the proportions right. I accentuated the pistol grip area of the stock and slimmed the "wrist" so a kid's thumb could wrap around it more thoroughly.
The fore-end wood was dramatically slim down I probably took a quarter inch off of each side it had felt like grabbing a 4 x 4 fence post,
even to my adult hands.

But, I was never sure how I could finish it with a final polishing and then staining to make it look professional. So I left it in the white, used it for a while that way,
and then gave it away to somebody who had an eight year old daughter who was just learning to shoot!

I once took a birch Ruger 10/22 stock and used rasps, files, chisels, sandpaper and even a belt sander at certain points to get it down to extra slim dimensions for a 10-year-old kid.

I got the proportions right. I accentuated the pistol grip area of the stock and slimmed the "wrist" so a kid's thumb could wrap around it more thoroughly.
The fore-end wood was dramatically slim down I probably took a quarter inch off of each side it had felt like grabbing a 4 x 4 fence post,
even to my adult hands.

But, I was never sure how I could finish it with a final polishing and then staining to make it look professional. So I left it in the white, used it for a while that way,
and then gave it away to somebody who had an eight year old daughter who was just learning to shoot!
Yeah, I'm probably going to do a little belt sanding to get the sides close to even. Getting the shape right will be the tough part. I think after that, I just work with finer and finer paper until it's smooth. Staining can be tricky depending on the wood (like birch) but I'll probably just leave it natural color. I think these are walnut.

I'm mostly nervous about carving up the inside. From my research, this stock should fit but it doesn't, lol. Also, I just found out this may be a later production model than I thought. Is there a Winchester expert on ODT? I'm just curious.

Rough shaping is done. Still need to fine tune it. I rinsed it again to try and raise some more of the dents and scratches so these pics show it wet. Big difference already.
20210417_210013.jpg
20210417_205829.jpg

BLIP BLIP - BTW, yes, it was polyurethane, lol. That really wasn't so bad though. Shaping the grip to match what was carved on one side is by far the biggest pain. I'm getting close though.

Back
Top Bottom