Winchester 94 project

Buckeye76

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
I picked up a 1979 Winchester 94 at my LGS a few weeks ago. It was priced right and just happened to follow me home.

The wood was painted black and I can't exactly tell what they did to the receiver. Looks like someone tried to refinish it. Maybe you can tell me what it is. The barrel bluing is ok with just a few scratches. I've refinished plenty of stocks, so the wood won't be a problem. After watching Sharps40 post threads about rust bluing, I thought I might give it a try. Of course he makes it look real easy. I am going to work on some scrap metal first before moving on to the gun. If I mess it up real bad, I can just have it coated.

Couple of questions though. Do I need to do the barrel too? Not sure what the rust blued receiver would look like next to the barrel as it is. Also, what the hell did they do to this receiver?

So wish me luck on my endeavor. Plan on working on this through the winter, so it may take a little while.

Here is what I am working with.

2013-10-26 17.50.16.jpg
2013-10-26 17.50.35.jpg

looks like they scrubbed the receiver with something that took the blue right off.. I don't know what cleaning chemicals will do that but Im sure there are some out there. I know vinegar will, but I don't know what else.

As Loadnplenty said, you will have to do both. I hope you decide to go with the rust blue, its a beautiful finish.

Pilkingtons rust blue. practice a lot. That Win 94 receiver will be hard to rust blacken, just as its hard to hot tank blue. But when its done right, rust blue is God's Own Finish, nothing else is right. Please don't paint it and remember, kryloncrap, ceracrap, ceramacrap, gunkotecrap, alumacrap, duracrap, zylenepoxy-carbonfiber-reinforced-arcsprayed-stainless-steelcrap is all paint and paint is for fenceposts, not for respectful treatment of weapons. Treat it right, its a 94. There will never, ever, never ever ever be anymore of them.

What is it about the Win 94 receiver that will make it hard to blue? Also, I would guess that I want to wait to remove the the existing bluing until I am about to begin the process? (Day or two before)

Its a different alloy. Many think they were black chromed or painted....its just an alloy that is hard to rust....hence hard to rust blue or oxide blue since both are rusting processes.

Yes, you strip the metal, polish and commence rust blueing/hot tank blueing immediatly/same day unless you are willing to preserve in oil and then strip oil......its easier for a good finish to just polish and start your blueing right after the final cuts. But, long as you totally degrease, you can spread it out over time. For your winnie, a simple cleaning and get the wood back to nice shape might be enough. If yer gonna keep it for a working rifle, just clean it and use it as is is a great option. Once you go to the trouble to make it pretty as new, it's like yer new truck....can't haul anything cause it might get a mark on it...not much fun.

Back
Top Bottom