winchester large pistol primers- standard and magnum?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
bought another 1k Winchester large pistol primers. They say they are good for standard and magnum loads.

My only concern is 44 magnum loads with H110. It's one of the few loads I make that is always recommended to use a magnum primer.

I assume it's fine because it says it's good for standard or magnum loads but just figured I'd ask the crowd. Pretty sure I've done it in the past, but just thought I'd see if the peanut gallery had done this or had any issues.

FYI Cabelas has primers 15% off right now. They had a good selection at good prices (CCI/Win/Fed around $26-28/k, S&B around $21/k). Powder was standard price, not on sale.

I used pounds of W296 (as noted same H110), up to and including compressed loads. All I used were standard WW primers. Never have a problem.

In fact there is a school that propounds the theory that magnum primers will shoot dirtier and have more erratic velocity readings than standard primers. I don't use them so can't speak directly to the issue.

I think the Winchester large pistol primers are actually Magnum primers. They just only make one type.

I will try to find the article; somewhere I read that the Winchester brand primer is specifically made for w296.

I have not located the article, but did see something that reminded me of what I read: the Winchester Small Pistol primers come in two varieties. The standard small, as you would expect, are standard. The magnum small pistol are a seperate designation because they are very hot—hotter than even other brands of magnums. They are made specifically for W296/H110, and should be used with caution when substituting Wichester magnum for other brands of magnum.

They'll do fine. The 50 Beowulf calls for large magnum pistol primers. I use the Winchester WLPs in it with H110 pushing a 500gr Hornady XTP-FP.

I did however get get my heart broke last year on Christmas eve morning because of a WLP... I had a huge buck come in on me with a doe. I got my Beowulf up and squeezed the trigger and "click"....it startled the buck and he tensed up. I tried to ease back the charging handle to cycle another round and the buffer spring rung and spooked him and he bolted. I went ahead and chambered another round. After we finished hunting I tried the same round that FTF....still wouldn't fire and the primer was hit hard. Cycled that round out and dumped the rest of the mag. It's just my luck, the one bad primer out of a batch of 500rds is the one that cost me a trophy deer.

Back
Top Bottom