WMA hunt bound!

Sorry buddy, was out of cell coverage til this evening. We left after the morning hunt today.
Lanesdad23 Lanesdad23 did some solid scouting and found us a killer spot yesterday evening. I was committed to my initial spot the first 3 days but it never produced.
Bear sign in the new spot was unreal, practically tripping over scat every step. Climbing sign and broken branches in a bunch of white oaks along the side of the mountains out there.
I had a bear get downwind and huff at me this morning while I was hunting there.
This was my second bear hunt and I’ve learned a lot this trip. Made a new friend in the process. Hopefully the mountains will bless me with a bear next time.
I’ve never done a bear hunt but it’s one of my life goals to get one. I have a lot to learn since I’ve never done one. Looking to go this year and get my feet wet and start learning.

What are you using to hunt with? Rifle,caliber, bow?

Tough hunting up there for sure.
the last hunt I attended up there I think the success rate was under 10%
seems like it was over 500 hunters checked in and only 49 animals checked out.

hope you had fun anyway.

I’ve never done a bear hunt but it’s one of my life goals to get one. I have a lot to learn since I’ve never done one. Looking to go this year and get my feet wet and start learning.

What are you using to hunt with? Rifle,caliber, bow?
I would not hesitate to use a bow but I was actually hunting with a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 160gr Swift A Frames.
Tough hunting up there for sure.
the last hunt I attended up there I think the success rate was under 10%
seems like it was over 500 hunters checked in and only 49 animals checked out.

hope you had fun anyway.
We had a blast. Looking forward to a return trip.

Those hunts are tough. I have been going to the North Ga wma’s for 4 years now to get a bear and haven’t got one yet.Very low success rates on all of them.Bear have a nose on them that reminds me of the elk hunts that I have been on.
I have a buddy that’s consistently successful on them,but he scouts during the summer and when he goes on one of the hunts,he back packs in with enough food and water to be able to not have to come out for 2 or 3 days.That way he can get as far away from people as possible and it pays off for him.

Those hunts are tough. I have been going to the North Ga wma’s for 4 years now to get a bear and haven’t got one yet.Very low success rates on all of them.Bear have a nose on them that reminds me of the elk hunts that I have been on.
I have a buddy that’s consistently successful on them,but he scouts during the summer and when he goes on one of the hunts,he back packs in with enough food and water to be able to not have to come out for 2 or 3 days.That way he can get as far away from people as possible and it pays off for him.
Yeah, it’s tough to pinpoint exactly where they are feeding. If you don’t do any advanced scouting you might not find a good spot til late in the hunt
We backpack camped/hunted in there last December. It was a blast.

I know a couple really good spot for bear.
I’ve seen them many times but never had the desire to shoot a big bear just because of the work involved and lack of manpower.
Above
My cabin property on Chestatee WMA is my favorite spot.

I’ve seen one in Suches that scared the crap out of me.
There are some big bear in my Suches spot but there’s one up there that if still
Alive would make your heart skip a few beats.

That being said if that Sasquatch print was real that’s something I would not dare shoot just to kill.
The prints we saw were weird.
The big toe was the size of a big serving spoon and the small toes looked like one big pad….possibly from matted hair between them.

Back
Top Bottom