WMA hunters

I am hunting Berry the first week of Dec with my 14 year old son. I have been wondering what its like there during a quota hunt. Because this will be our first WMA hunt also. Thanks for the advise guys......

Also keep in mind that not all hunters are "safe" hunters, be careful because you do not get to choose who is hunting near you on a WMA.

Number one rule is beware of other hunters. Not all are safe hunters. I've hunted them for years and have had success. I get in early an leave late, the short timers will run dear deer to you. Make sure to have a light stand or a pop up. When in a pop up I will wrap a vest around the trunk of a tree close to me to help warn others of my presence. You will need to be willing to put in the extra effort to reach the honey holes.

I agree with other comments of walking in further in than your average hunter.

Most guys will walk in far enough that they can no longer see the road in which they came in on and deep enough to see some hoof prints and be surrounded by woods and that's where they set up shop.

I like to find that place and walk in another half mile or more and find a nice spot where multiple paths funnel together with nice shooting lanes.

Unfortunately you can't stake a claim on public land and sometimes your spot may have been claimed by someone else if you get in too late.

Last year during rifle season I had some knucklehead about 70 yards away walk up , saw my orange, wave to me and proceed to sit on a log.
I thought maybe he was taking a rest and gave him the benefit of doubt but he sat there for about 1.5 hours before he got up and walked away.

You never know what people are gonna do so it's not really worth arguing in the woods with someone you don't know that has a rifle.

Me personally and pretty much most all hunters out there will see another hunter's orange and respectfully and quietly turn around and backtrack as to not disturb your spot.

Back
Top Bottom