WMAs for squirrels

Hammerhead636

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
Ok. So today I went to Allatoona WMA. On the Macedonia Rd peninsula. To hunt for fox squirrel and possibly rabbit.

The coastline has a pine forest while the inner parts have more oak trees. I searched them all. Didn't see a single squirrel. I sat still and waited, I walked quietly. Nothing. Saw an infinite amount of birds though.
I heard about how Allatoona is a good spot for fox squirrels, but I didnt see a single squirrel. I saw lots of fresh deer tracks in the snow though, good size deer too. All over that peninsula.

So is Allatoona really a good place for squirrels? Or was it too cold today? Or have they all been killed since the start of the season?

Pine trees or oak trees? What do they like best?

What about Paulding Forest WMA, any good amounts of squirrels there?

Last edited:
Hardwoods, they will move when the sun warms up in the morning and if temps are good about 30 minutes before dark. I am on the other side of the lake and we are infested. lol

fox sq. tend to be more active around mid-day. You will more often find them on mixed pine ridges. This is late-rut, nesting time. They are spending most of their time inside trees. On a cold day they might touch the ground twice. Good luck!

I have noticed my squirrel population here dwindling. I used to see a hundred of them little bastards a day, now I seldom see them at all. Maybe they stay in from the cold too. I kind of think the coyotes are getting them out here. I been busting yotes lately.maybe the squirrel population will come back up so I can bust them little bastages too this summer before they move back into my attic.

From what I heard and have seen, 2013 was a bad year for acorns in most of cherokee/bartow and northward. rats migrated to greener pastures. Try a WMA in the middle part of the state and look for creek bottoms with water oaks. Warm afternoons (mid 50's) should be able to get a close to a limit. my suggestion would be a WMA in region 4 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/maps/hunting good luck

I would be willing to drive longer distances if I had a partner to pay for half the gas. I'm sticking with areas that are within an hour within roswell/marietta. So pretty much Paulding Forest, Pine Log, and Allatoona. Maybe John Mountain.

it's going to be super warm Sunday. Maybe then. There was lots of pine cones on the ground, I heard they like to eat the seeds in those?

I saw lots of leaf nests, but they could be old, or not even occupied by squirrels (saw a type of woodpecker bird emerge from one).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom