• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Wood refinishing or leave as is?

Burnt Mtn Guy

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
Hello all,
New here but I guess this is the right place to ask this.
I have my grandfather's Remington model 12a, 90-100 or so years old.
Someone replaced a few parts for me and now it functions properly. However before that, it was under his bed for maybe 50 years, due to not working.
Before that, it was clearly not loved either. The wood looks rough.
So my question is, should I refinish the stock and forearm, or leave it as is? I enjoy woodworking so that aspect doesn't concern me. I'm more concerned value wise since I haven't decided whether to keep it or not. Is it like cars and only original once, or is nicer always better? If I refinish it, it still has a fairly pitted barrel that may make the wood look out of place. It would be a fun small project, but not if it hurts the value down the road.
Thoughts?
Thank you in advance,

Thank you very much, I'll check that tomorrow and get some photos.
Normally I'd agree about an heirloom, but we have other things from him that have good memories attached. We didn't even know this existed until we cleaned his house out, and he evidently didn't care for it.
But if it cleans up nicely it may be good to keep simply because it is fun to shoot.
Thanks,

I think that the refinishing of it depends on how bad of shape the stock is in currently. Value on those pieces is in the eye of the beholder. They have a market value, once they hit a certain amount of wear and tear on them be it from sitting unconditioned or heavy use this will affect the value refinished or not. Old pieces seem to very greatly depending on someone wanting a certain something. I have a very old tube radio and did a lot of research on them and learned that finding the right buyer will determine the amount you get for it. The radios ranged from 50 to 1500 for the same radio. That's what I've learned as far as value of older things goes. I would love to see pictures of it though, toes not required for me though.

Hello all,
New here but I guess this is the right place to ask this.
I have my grandfather's Remington model 12a, 90-100 or so years old.
Someone replaced a few parts for me and now it functions properly. However before that, it was under his bed for maybe 50 years, due to not working.
Before that, it was clearly not loved either. The wood looks rough.
So my question is, should I refinish the stock and forearm, or leave it as is? I enjoy woodworking so that aspect doesn't concern me. I'm more concerned value wise since I haven't decided whether to keep it or not. Is it like cars and only original once, or is nicer always better? If I refinish it, it still has a fairly pitted barrel that may make the wood look out of place. It would be a fun small project, but not if it hurts the value down the road.
Thoughts?
Thank you in advance,
Welcome aboard

Thank you everyone. It is nice to check in and have several helpful and friendly replies.
Rockyfatcat, it must have been manufactured before 1921 as I understand that site. There is nothing on the side of the barrel. It does have RW 06657 in front of the trigger though.
Here are some photos for those still interested. What is considered more polite here, uploading as a full image or thumbnail?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200715_102943.jpg
    20200715_102943.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200715_103032.jpg
    20200715_103032.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200715_103055.jpg
    20200715_103055.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200715_103406.jpg
    20200715_103406.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 71
I'd just clean it up a little and leave "as is"
When you refinish older shotguns like that, the value really takes a hit.
But I honestly think it already looks great. After all, it's a hundred years old!

Back
Top Bottom