• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wood turning! Who does it?

STIHL301

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get into wood turning for sometime now. I was wondering if anyone on ODT has a wood lathe and does any work? I would like to know what lathe you do use or would recommend to use. My grandfather left me a old metal lathe from early 1900`s so i have some kind of experience working on a lathe and could possibly use it to start with but i dont have the turning tools or a rest. Also I do alot of wood work too.

Thanks!

would love to see your antique lathe, can you send a photo?

I would recommend a purpose built wood lathe and good ones to start with would be 1950's Rockwell, Powermatic, Walker Turner, etc., i.e. a heavy lathe. Many of these come with a variable speed drive (mechanical). The heavier the better, but be sure that it is all there, especially the tail-stock.

Any of these older lathes can be retrofitted with an adjustable frequency drive. Don't spend a lot of money on accessories until you are hooked, then buy your cutting/scraping tools one at a time, avoiding tool-packages where they load you up on tools you will never use.

Warning: it is addicting and always remember: "machines don't care"

I will have to go take a picture of it sometime this week maybe today. Its still at my grandfathers house but its 10 mins away! it sure is cool and brings alot of memories back when I see it.

I would like to find a older wood lathe because they do look heavy duty. Just not sure where to find them I look on craigslist from time to time. As for the tools i was thinking of just buying the basic tools needed to start with like you had mentioned. Do you have a picture of your lathe? i would like to see your setup. moosensquirrel moosensquirrel

I turn bowls, pens, wine stoppers, etc on a Delta Midi-lathe. I also have a Jet 1236 vs lathe for larger turnings. The Delta Midi will allow you8 to turn 9" bowls and the 1236 Jet will allow 12" inboard and if you turn the headstock 180 degrees, your size is limited to your imagination. Look at Easy Turn products, 2 of these will be what you will use mostly all the time. Robert Sorby (England) tools are great as well but very pricey. Start small and work your way up. If you have any ?'s, feel free to PM me. BB96

Back
Top Bottom