• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Working on my Benelli M1S90 SBS project

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Picked up a 14” barrel and SBS’ed my HK-stamped Benelli M1S90.

Wanted to run one of the newest model Surefire forends, but they no longer support the M1/M2. I designed a spacer that allows the newest generation of Surefire forend from a Mossberg 590 on the M1/M2, and had a bunch of them 3D-printed. More on that later.

Picked up a walnut stock for a Montefeltro and fitted it to my M1S90. Had to cut a notch for the back of the trigger guard to slot into, and installed a pin at 12 o’clock for another interface.

Cut 1.5” off the stock for a shorter LOP. I have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad I intended on installing, but the spacing for the screws won’t work. I ordered a grind-to-fit pad from Limbsaver because I read that the screw spacing was further apart. If that doesn’t work, it’s back to the Pachmayr, and a plan I have in my head that will require more work.

Stripped the factory urethane finish, sanded the stock down, and hand-rubbed boiled linseed oil into it. Finished with Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn stock finish, rubbed in with the grain using fine bronze wool.

Installed a GroveTech QD socket on the left side. Cut an L-shaped steel bracket for the inside of the stock; one surface acts as a stop for the stock bolt to bear against, and the other surface shims behind the nut for the QD socket. This will provide additional support for the socket.

Next part of the project is the sights. I’m looking at 2 different ideas. The first is to keep the barrel mounted rifle sights, but fit an XS Sights wide-V rear sight, and a large dot tritium front sight.

The other idea is to fit a Scattergun Tech front sight over the existing front sight and pin it in place. Rear would be a ghost ring sight from Scattergun Tech, XS Sights, LPA, or similar.

IMG_0415.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg

Very nice!

How'd you end up getting the angle you wanted?

Set it upside down like you saw, resting on the top of the receiver.

Found the center of the side and measured 1.5” to that stop. Did the same on the other side.

Used the square to mark a vertical line. Cut with a handsaw.

Turned out really well. I cleaned up imperfections and squared off the surface using a flat block with 150 grit sandpaper.

Back
Top Bottom