Working up 9mm load

patriot15joe

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
10   0
Reaction score
I am working on setting up a 9mm load for my cast 124gr round nose. After reading though several load data books and sites, I saw that with Winchester 231 powder I should be somewhere between 3.7gr and 4.5gr. I loaded my first three sets (of 5 each) at 4.0gr, 4.1gr, and 4.2gr. They were all very accurate, but only two of the 4.2gr fully cycled (ejected) from my Bersa Thunder.

Has anyone else worked up a similar load? I am wondering why I read on several forums that 3.7gr-4.0gr will fully cycle. I am planning to load three more sets 4.3gr, 4.4gr, and 4.5gr to test. Would prefer not to shoot hot loads with the lead casts.

Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 5E037888-58B9-4E13-AD92-282E08634AA0.jpeg
    5E037888-58B9-4E13-AD92-282E08634AA0.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 43
I am working on setting up a 9mm load for my cast 124gr round nose. After reading though several load data books and sites, I saw that with Winchester 231 powder I should be somewhere between 3.7gr and 4.5gr. I loaded my first three sets (of 5 each) at 4.0gr, 4.1gr, and 4.2gr. They were all very accurate, but only two of the 4.2gr fully cycled (ejected) from my Bersa Thunder.

Has anyone else worked up a similar load? I am wondering why I read on several forums that 3.7gr-4.0gr will fully cycle. I am planning to load three more sets 4.3gr, 4.4gr, and 4.5gr to test. Would prefer not to shoot hot loads with the lead casts.

You are on the right track working up the load. Just make sure cases are sized and prepped and you are using the correct Overall length and the crimp is done right. Does your gun function well with other types of ammo? Watch for any pressure signs. You should stop when you get the gun to function right. Usually that load will be the most accurate. If gun and everything is right you will see no pressure signs. If you have to go up to maximum and it functions fine then you are probably OK. Make sure everything including your scales are correct.

You are on the right track working up the load. Just make sure cases are sized and prepped and you are using the correct Overall length and the crimp is done right. Does your gun function well with other types of ammo? Watch for any pressure signs. You should stop when you get the gun to function right. Usually that load will be the most accurate. If gun and everything is right you will see no pressure signs. If you have to go up to maximum and it functions fine then you are probably OK. Make sure everything including your scales are correct.[/QUOTE

I believe I have the sizing correct. I may have the seating depth a little deep at 28.58mm. I have never had a factory load not cycle in this gun. It has always been very dependable.

You are on the right track. Depending on your pistol you might need to go towards max 4.5. I run hp38/231 on all my 9s with 124 fmjs. All run great.

I worked up a load on my 380 and ended up on max using tightgroup. Would not cycle slide until I hit that sweet Mark.

As far as lead, if you keep them around 1100-1200 should not have a problem with leading.

Remember ANY change in components require you to rework up a load again. I.e. switching primers, cases, bullets (even the same weight) and crimps, rework your load and watch for excess pressure.

Sounds like the Bersa has a pretty stout recoil spring. You might have to go near max to get it to cycle properly. Pretty common in 9mm as most are factory designed to properly cycle NATO grade ammo.

By the looks of ur reload...i reco i seat it shorter. That would give it a little more pressure.

I would do thia before u change powder increments

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's the powder weight alone, I think it's the combination with bullet weight and alloy hardness. Try a heavier bullet with about 3.7 gr powder

Back
Top Bottom