• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would a shipping container a good Faraday cage ?

Will a shipping container make a good Faraday cage

• Total voters
Here's a video of former high level government employees relating their concern for a man-made EMP against the nation's power grid:
"Fmr. CIA Dir. Jim Woolsey warns of existential EMP threat to America"

Last edited:
Someone tell me what a Faraday cage is, in 3rd grade talk and in the abbreviated version

A Faraday cage provides a barrier to shield against electromagnetic pulses which can destroy sensitive unprotected electronic equipment which unfortunately is practically every electronic device including components on your car, your entire cell phone, tv, etc. It's like a huge electrical power surge but is not confined to an electric power line. When a nuclear bomb is detonated, it releases an electromagnetic pulse. A cardboard box completely wrapped in aluminum foil with the seams taped is a basic Faraday cage.

An EMP could affect all unprotected electronics including the power grid (Georgia Power, MEAG, etc.). Imagine the nation without electrical power for 6 months to a year or more. The big concern is that much of the electrical components that comprise the power grid (transformers, relays, etc.) are now made in Europe and Korea and not here in the US (see the video link in my last post) which would pose significant delays in re-constructing the grid as few spare parts are maintained by the electrical companies. Herein lies the problem.

A Faraday cage provides a barrier to shield against electromagnetic pulses which can destroy sensitive unprotected electronic equipment which unfortunately is practically every electronic device including components on your car, your entire cell phone, tv, etc. It's like a huge electrical power surge but is not confined to an electric power line. When a nuclear bomb is detonated, it releases an electromagnetic pulse. A cardboard box completely wrapped in aluminum foil with the seams taped is a basic Faraday cage.

An EMP could affect all unprotected electronics including the power grid (Georgia Power, MEAG, etc.). Imagine the nation without electrical power for 6 months to a year or more. The big concern is that much of the electrical components that comprise the power grid (transformers, relays, etc.) are now made in Europe and Korea and not here in the US (see the video link in my last post) which would pose significant delays in re-constructing the grid as few spare parts are maintained by the electrical companies. Herein lies the problem.

Thanks but there are to many words there for me. I kinda understand

Back
Top Bottom