WW2 K98 Mauser- Inquiry about markings & value.

Charles R

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
56   0
Reaction score
Lots of "GUN NUTS here including myself.
I don't know much about K-98 Mausers but wanted to start a thread and look forward to your input and hopefully learn of bit of history in the process.

A family friend owns a K-98 and currently Not interested in selling it. He wants to mount a scope on it and use it for deer hunting. ( I cringed as well) and will upload some pics once I receive them this evening.
Specifically Inquire about the markings, History, where it may have been manufactured, and of course the value of it.

This is the description from the owner below

dot 1944, Mod 98. Steel butt plate.
Something that looks like a serial number, 17431, under than number is a small a? Not sure?

Other markings, On the bolt receiver housing something stamped looks like a crown with a 63 below the crown. There are 2 of these. On the barrel is another crown with a 63 below. What does the crown indicate?

Also there is a large KF on the left side of the barrel. What does that stand for?

ON the clip there are some numbers: LU3016, I think.

At the receiver area on the stock there is a 1/2 inch steel plate on each side, with the left side plate has 2 holes, like the plate could be unscrewed with a tool. My guess is that this secures the barrel to the stock? Do you know anything more?

On the stock, there is a 1 inch steel plate, with a 5/16 plate in the middle also having the two little tool holes. Do you know what that is for?

On the plate that holds the clip, there is a there is a byf and a small insignia. Can not describe, too small. What is that?

The bolt and the bolt receiver both have identifying marks, 3475.

The markings on the rear sight go from 1 to 20.
Front sight is adjustable side ways.

Hand grip is checkered both sides. There is a sling.

The barrel has rust and the stock some dents and gouges.

I will send you photographs this afternoon.

From what I can tell...
dot 1944 means the rifle was built at Waffen Werke Brunn in 1944. It's a Kriegsmodell that probably has a stamped floorplate instead of a milled one, but "byf" was another factory. Sounds like the rifle was re-arsenaled at some point, probably by the Soviets.
The metal circle at the stock that has the hole in it is to assist with field stripping the bolt. Once you disassemble the bolt, you can push the spring and firing pin into the hole and take it apart.
Checkered grip sounds like bubba got ahold of it, which sucks.

You fried is probably better off selling the rifle for whatever he can get for it and getting a modern, synthetic stock rifle for deer hunting. Modern rifles are lighter, have warranties, and buying new means ability to choose caliber.

From what I can tell...
dot 1944 means the rifle was built at Waffen Werke Brunn in 1944. It's a Kriegsmodell that probably has a stamped floorplate instead of a milled one, but "byf" was another factory. Sounds like the rifle was re-arsenaled at some point, probably by the Soviets.
The metal circle at the stock that has the hole in it is to assist with field stripping the bolt. Once you disassemble the bolt, you can push the spring and firing pin into the hole and take it apart.
Checkered grip sounds like bubba got ahold of it, which sucks.

You fried is probably better off selling the rifle for whatever he can get for it and getting a modern, synthetic stock rifle for deer hunting. Modern rifles are lighter, have warranties, and buying new means ability to choose caliber.

I asked if the K98 had any Nazi Eagle marking and waiting for a response back. Was is standard practice to scrub/remove the eagle if captured rifles were reissued to the soviets or sold to civillian market post war?

I asked if the K98 had any Nazi Eagle marking and waiting for a response back. Was is standard practice to scrub/remove the eagle if captured rifles were reissued to the soviets or sold to civillian market post war?
I've seen them scrubbed or peened, but I don't know anything beyond that it was fairly common, as anything Nazi was verboden post-war.

Back
Top Bottom