Your Best Gun Trading Techniques!!!

just made my best trade I hung 3 ceiling fans for a mossberg 500c 20 ga. in camo took me all of 45 min. plus the drive to the guys house. And yeah if you dont watch it some folks will sell you a gun way over the store price. I had 1 guy iI talk to wanting 425. for a shot gun that was selling in the store for 299. I was like wtf lol

When you see the gun you're trading for act like you don't really care even though you're salivating. Remember they wouldn't be there unless they wanted your gun too.

Bottom line is, trade for what you want. Do not go into it thinking you can make a profit off of someone. If you want the gun then decide what you are willing to give up in order to own it.

Another strategy is to trade into something you know people want. You can then sell that gun and get what you want. When trading, it all comes down to what will one party give up in order to get what they want. Nobody is twisting anyones arm. Be honest and you will be fine.

My only problem is people keeping trying to trade me guns for $200+ over MSRP or retail prices when mine is listed for $300 under MSRP. Panic pricing is one thing, but when I can check 3 or 4 sites and find the same gun new in stock for $200 less, there is a problem. Too many people fail to either research or understand what their gun is actually worth or they think other people are too dumb to figure it out before doing a deal with them. In the 2 weeks I've had a gun listed for trade, I received maybe 15 trade offers and only a couple of those have been even reasonable, as in close to the same value. Unfortunately, no one has made an offer yet that is something I want. Still surprised no one has offered to buy it yet.

I will give a few tips.
Don't entertain hype/unicorn/panic prices. Right now m&p shields are selling for 650 used on odt, they're bout 425 brand new. Colt 6920's are a bit over a grand bnib, yet folks are trying to sell them for 2k+, pmags been selling for 75+, they're 15$ NEW.
So when you have a gun that's genuinley worth say 600 used like an older sig, Don't entertain trades of a shield with 2 mags.
Try not to come off as a gouger. Sure, you can sell a box of 500 22 LR for 50$, doesn't mean its right. Enough.ads like that, and eventually folks wont deal with you, even after the hype based on moral principals.
Its one thing if say, you buy a gun that's a unicorn, you get an offer that you make some money off of and both of you are happy. Its another thing if you buy a unicorn strictly for the purpose of flipping it at the cost of someone that would generally use it.

Very well said

Trade for something you want and would keep should you not get around to trading/selling it for awhile. Look on the site and see what things are selling for, not posted for. I have a friend who bought and sold guns for a year at an addictive level. He had some scores, and some not so good deals. Take into consideration that you burn up time and gas during these trades. At the end of the year he could have worked a little harder at his day job and earned enough extra money to flat out buy these guns but I think he enjoyed the transactions more than the guns. Also, I have noticed that high end guns and cheap guns dont get as much action as guns in the say...$500 - $800 range. Also, rarely is a trade for a gun only. Look at the whole package.

Also, the guys who always trade but never sell in my opinion like to shoot a wide variety of guns without having to shell out cash to buy them. If you arent trading for a reason such as that you are spinning your wheels.

I have traded to "streamline" my hand guns. My best trade had to be trading a Glock 21, yes it was in great shape and had 4 mags with it but I traded it for a S&W M&P 45 that came with the Crimson Trace grip. I feel that I got the better deal but the guy that I got it from didn't like the Smith and I didn't like the Glock. Now we're both happy.

Just remember, trade for what you want (or think you want).

Back
Top Bottom