Your thoughts on the 450 Bushmaster?

Reaper76USMC

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
10   0
Reaction score
I am on the list to receive one of the GCO lowers when they eventually come in. I was planning on using it to do my first build to include three different uppers on the one lower. The calibers I have chosen to build the uppers to are: 300 Blackout, 5.56, and 450 Bushmaster, all three in 16" barrels. I would like to hear from anyone here that owns a 450 bushmaster AR about what they think of their "thumper"?

Questions to consider:

Satisfaction with rifle/upper vs. cost?
Cost/availability of ammo prohibitive?
Recoil comparison to other caliber AR's?
Ever fire it at indoor range? Sound?
What effective ranges are you getting?
Reloading experiences?

Pictures are appreciated!

I had one for a while. The overall performance of this cartridge is excellent.

I loaded for mine, and already had a pile of bullets on hand for my .45 caliber handguns, so cost wasn't anything I wasn't accustomed to before getting the Bushy.

Mine bumped more than the average AR, but it ain't punishing at all. I recommend a fix stock for hunting anyway.

The longest distance I fired mine was 200 yds and it was quite impressive. Those big bumble bee looking bullets shoot very well.

Never fired one inside, so I ain't any help with that.

The Hornady dies I had were crazy though. They shipped with a separate roll crimp die?

This round headspaces the same as a .45 ACP, off the case mouth. Taper crimping is a 100% necessity for it. The supplied seating die does perform taper crimp, but the added cost of a useless die is stupid.

Mine was great, I just didn't really have a use for it. As usual, I got it "just right" then sold it.

I am on the list to receive one of the GCO lowers when they eventually come in. I was planning on using it to do my first build to include three different uppers on the one lower. The calibers I have chosen to build the uppers to are: 300 Blackout, 5.56, and 450 Bushmaster, all three in 16" barrels. I would like to hear from anyone here that owns a 450 bushmaster AR about what they think of their "thumper"?

Questions to consider:

Satisfaction with rifle/upper vs. cost?
Cost/availability of ammo prohibitive?
Recoil comparison to other caliber AR's?
Ever fire it at indoor range? Sound?
What effective ranges are you getting?
Reloading experiences?

Pictures are appreciated!

A friend let me shoot his once...
I LOVED IT... It kicks like a monster BUT, its supposed to. It's the "kiss of death" for almost any creature walking this earth. I looked around for more info on it & saw a guy on YouTube shoot CLEAN through 9/16" steel plate with handloads.
On the contrary, be prepared to start reloading b/c that 450 ammo ain't cheap or real easy to come by.

Back
Top Bottom