• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1903A3 Ammo?

midgahydroseed

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
14   0
Reaction score
I just found me a great old 1903A3 Smith Corona and wanted to get some thoughts on ammo choice. I don't think I will shoot it much but these things would not have used the modern propellents of today so I don't want to over charge it or hurt the gun in any way. I also need to check it out with some gauges to make sure its safe.

Thanks
Jim

Don't use modern ammo. Hornady makes ammo specifically for Garands you can use that safely but it's expensive. Your best bet is to find some Greek surplus from the CMP

In a Garand you risk bending the op-rod with modern loads because of the fast/high pressure spike, especially with commercial hunting ammo. That's one reason to spend the $100 or so on a ported gas plug.

I wouldn't have thought a bolt-gun would have any issues, but I don't know the first thing about 1903s. If folks say use Garand-safe ammo, I'd have to be in the better safe than sorry camp here.

1903A3 Ammo.....I thought this rifle was a bolt action...??? It will shoot any modern ammo just fine as long as it isn't damaged or the head space is correct. I have had a couple of 'O3A3's over the years and have shot quite a few deer with them using modern hunting ammo.

I just found me a great old 1903A3 Smith Corona and wanted to get some thoughts on ammo choice. I don't think I will shoot it much but these things would not have used the modern propellents of today so I don't want to over charge it or hurt the gun in any way. I also need to check it out with some gauges to make sure its safe.

Thanks
Jim

Jim,
You will not like this 03A3 thing, Old rundown, can't find ammo, dents and dings. I bet if you look close to where you found it there may be some change laying around.
I would be willing to make a trip to gray and remove this old thing from you and leave a little $$ in the hand.. LOL

Just funning..

Chuck's Gun and Pawn in Warner Robins might be the place to find M2 Ball ammo 30-06 which shoots the best, as someone said the CMP is a good place to buy ammo.

This Link should give you an Idea.
http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

Have fun..

That was on 1903 Springfield rifles------the 1903A3 rifles had/have no receiver hardness issues
Yup, I've got one of the super old ones that my grandpa rescued from somewhere back in the 40's... He loaded me up a bunch of ammo to run through it, but after reading up on them after he passed I decided to park it in the safe... I got 100 rounds or so of some light custom loads though on hand. Not sure about the legality of selling hand loads though...

I saw an article somewhere (I will look for it) reference mostly the 308w / 7.62x51 pressure issues, where they tested the Remington managed recoil corelokt ammo... Their tests showed the Rem ammo was safe for older 2 lug mausers converted to 7.62 nato.. In that light, the Rem corelokt managed recoil 30-06 ammo would theoretically be safe if commercial ammo was your only choice.

Here is the post on 308w / 7.62 nato / Remington Managed Recoil ammo...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/308vs762nato3/index.asp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom