• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 Super

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
So I just ordered everything to convert my 4506 to 45 super. The thought of throwing 180gr bullets at 1300 fps and 255gr bullets at 1100 fps was just too appealing for me to resist. The fact that I can still shoot 45 ACP out of the gun after conversion is also a huge plus.

It seems to be the ballistic equal to 10mm. What 10mm has over the super in velocity the super makes up for in size and weight.

Anybody ever play with the 45 Super? Need to order up some brass and get to reloading.

I play with 460 Rowland and love it. Great accuracy out of a 1911 set up. You should like 45 Super, but think about the 460 Rowland at some point. They have G21 kits out now. It should shoot a bit stiffer and be louder, that's the biggest difference I noticed.

I looked into the Rowland, but the super was such an easier conversion I went with it. Do you shoot ACP out of your Rowland? My understanding is it will work since the case is held in place by the extractor, but it will lead to premature extractor failure. Kinda like shooting a 40 S&W out of a 10mm.

The biggest determining factor for me though was I hate compensators on pistols. :thumb:

I'll stick with 10mm. It just seems like less of a PITA overall.
How so? Change a few springs and my gun can shoot both 45 Super AND 45 ACP with no modification between calibers. Heck, I could load my magazines with both in the same mags stacked and the gun will shoot both without issue. What is PITA about it?

I like 45 super for the same reasons you posted. I have an hk USP, and a 1911 that I shoot it in. I wont shoot it in a glock again, as it ruins the brass. Starline had the brass in stock, last I checked. You can really tell they have more juice than a standard 45 when you pop one off.
Everyone kept telling me that they would just do 460, and all the ones that said that to me haven't converted anything and still shoot 45 acp?????

So I just ordered everything to convert my 4506 to 45 super. The thought of throwing 180gr bullets at 1300 fps and 255gr bullets at 1100 fps was just too appealing for me to resist. The fact that I can still shoot 45 ACP out of the gun after conversion is also a huge plus.

It seems to be the ballistic equal to 10mm. What 10mm has over the super in velocity the super makes up for in size and weight.

Anybody ever play with the 45 Super? Need to order up some brass and get to reloading.

Not 45 super, but 440 Cor-Bon out of a G21. Lot's of fun.

Back
Top Bottom