• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone use a firearm pricing guide?

partsman

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Cowboy Action Shooter
117   0
Reaction score
I own three different firearm reference books/pricing guides: the Blue Book of Gun Values; the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson; and the Gun Traders Guide. I find them to be very helpful in researching a possible purchase. My question is does anyone utilize such a guide to establish their asking price on the ODT? This is not another thread to beat a dead horse regarding high gun prices. I think using a guide should take some of the emotion out of the process and resulting in a fair price to both the seller and buyer. Any thoughts about how best to arrive at a reasonable price?

I used to use the Blue Book when pricing rare or obscure firearms for a gun shop I worked at a number of years ago. The Blue Book is a fantastic reference for learning how to properly describe the condition of firearms and assess the appropriate grade or original finish condition. It is also very helpful for the aspiring collector as there is a wealth of information regarding production runs, scarcity, and how much special features may add to the firearms base value.

from what I can tell prices fluctuate vastly based on region and or state. So one book can have prices that are accurate in GA but may not reflect the prices of Washington and vice versa. the internet is my value book.

from what I can tell prices fluctuate vastly based on region and or state. So one book can have prices that are accurate in GA but may not reflect the prices of Washington and vice versa. the internet is my value book.

Great point!

(I don't own one of those books anymore, I do find it more convenient to use the net to figure most of it out.)

In my opinion Gunbroker and the actual prices things have sold at tempered with asking prices reflects the real market. It gives a sampling of the national market place and reflects market conditions from week to week much better than any price guide I have seen.

The books you mentioned were out of date the day they were printed in terms of pricing. I have two of the three and use them strictly as reference books for information, not for pricing. If you are using those book to try and buy, you will not buy anything. If you are using those books to sell, please let me know what you have.

Back
Top Bottom