• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Average target distance with a pistol and what pistol

At 21 feet, I don't even look at the gun anymore, not for 20 years. I concentrate on what part of the target I want to hit.

Oh, and that snubby ringing the steel, I have only put a 13lb rebound spring and oversized combat hand in.

My old G26 i could shoot like hell Never been much of a shot with the snubbies guess I need to buy one and practice practice practice

I typically shoot a 5" steel target at about 12-15 yards. I occasionally shoot it from as far as 30 when I just want a challenge.

Oops didn't read the first part.

I shoot multiple guns. Sig P226, and previously a Mosquito, Sig 1911-22, Llama 9mm 1911, and previously a Walther PK380

So far I was the best shot at 15 yards with the walther, but I'm much better at 30 with the 226 and the Llama than I was with the PK.. I haven't shot them at closer distances yet. I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn at 30 yards with the Mosquito or the PK

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that over 90% of non military shootings took place at 21' or less.
So the 7 yards ties with that.

7 yards is really close though, at 7 yards you should be able to point and shoot and hit the target, no aiming.

For a carry handgun:

Yep 0-7 yards by feel-point shooting for fist size, fast groups, either by feel or indexing on the slide outline. I use the weak hand as a block and dominate hand to manipulate the firearm but avoid offering it to an opponent.

Farther groups for speed I often just use the front sight and then work accuracy-threading the needle so speak 1-2" groups out to 15 yards, I work best with a rest/support field expedient using both two hand and one hand then 25-100 yard shots.

It helps me understand the trajectory of my bullet path and aiming points along the way. Riding the recoil and learning how to make quick follow up shots, taking the slack out of a trigger or shooting from the reset are useful skills to acquire.

Always treat your weapon as a single shot and everything that comes afterward is a bonus.

You will concentrate on that first shot and not just spray bullets.

Rule of 3's: 90% of gunfights occur within 3 yards, take 3 seconds, and 3 rounds are shot.

I think a lot of people do not practice shooting under 3 yards and you need to train for this as well. My wife and I usually practice at 3, 7, 10, and occasionally 15 yards. I will rarely go out to 25 yards but with a handgun I think it will be hard to argue eminent danger for a shooting at 25 yards...

Exactly.

This was the first shots that were fired from my new Springfield Armory TRP 45acp. I literally picked it up from the store then a friend and I went right to the old department range. This video was taken a couple of years ago and I still shoot it out to 100 yards. Most of the time I shoot it 3 yards out to 25yards. I also carry this pistol on the swat team.

You have to listen very carefully, but you can hear the impact on the steel plate. Plate is approximately 12" wide by 15" tall.

http://s80.photobucket.com/user/harley2cam88/media/2012-02-05_17-26-58_5352.mp4.html

Last edited:
Rule of 3's: 90% of gunfights occur within 3 yards, take 3 seconds, and 3 rounds are shot.

I think a lot of people do not practice shooting under 3 yards and you need to train for this as well. My wife and I usually practice at 3, 7, 10, and occasionally 15 yards. I will rarely go out to 25 yards but with a handgun I think it will be hard to argue eminent danger for a shooting at 25 yards...

If the other guy has a gun and I can see it, he's threatening me with it, it's a threat regardless of if he's 3 inches or 30 yards away. Georgia uses the "Reasonable Man" criteria, What would a reasonable person with similar training and experience do under the same circumstances?

As far as training at 25 yards goes, if one can't hit an 8" target at 25 yards, how can one hope to hit a 4" target at 12 yards?

As far as the Rule of 3's goes, I thought that was 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. :)

Would you mind posting a link or some reference material? Your mention of 3 yards, 3 seconds, and 3 shots in the first I've ever heard of it.

7-25 yards with my 1911s. slow controlled fire 8 rounds will go in a hole not much bigger than a silver dollar. Rapid fire they all stay in the area of a $2 bill. My guns are FAR more accurate than I am capable of right now.

Back
Top Bottom