• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 45acp suppressor on market?

Octane 45, hands down.

I was leaning that up to Sunday, Then the gift of gab set in. I talked with several Stamp Collectors and was informed of these.
Thompson Machine IsIs-2 45acp
Griffen Armament Revolution 45 acp

Anyone have shot or own one that would chime in?

As far as .45ACP goes, my internet travels have lead me to believe that the best cans are going to be either:
- SilencerCo Octane 45 (aluminum tube/stainless baffles)
- AAC Ti-Rant (titanium tube/stainless baffles and aluminum somewhere in there too evidently)
Both are able to be disassembled for cleaning by the user, and feature a baffle stack (as opposed to monocore). FWIW, both manufacturers have also recently released short and/or medium versions.

Other very popular, but not as much evidence of heavy duty (ie: heavy loads) use:
- SilencerCo Osprey 45 (aluminum tube/stainless baffles, on par with the Octane with regards to suppression, but can not be disassembled)
- Griffin Revolution 45 (aluminum tube/stainless baffles, can be disassembled)

Also out there, but not as popular are:
- Liberty Miranda (aluminum/stainless, no evidence of being user serviceable)
- Bowers Vers 45 (all aluminum construction, not sure what baffle type, have read that it can be disassembled, but MFG recommends against it)
- Bowers ASP 45 (all aluminum construction, sealed unit)
- YHM Sidewinder (stainless monocore/aluminum tube, can be disassembled)
- Innovative Arms Shepherd .45 (aluminum tube, stainless baffle stack, can be disassembled)
- Thompson Isis-2 (all aluminum construction, monocore, can be disassembled)
- Thompson Poseidon 45 (all aluminum construction, monocore and wipes, can be disassembled)
- Thompson QMF-2 (all aluminum construction, monocore, can be disassembled)
- Thompson SG-2 (subgun can, all aluminum construction, monocore, can be disassembled)
- Gemtech GM-45 (monocore, all aluminum construction, can be disassembled)
- Gemtech Blackside
- Rugged Obsidian 45 (aluminum tube/stainless baffles, user serviceable, modular - new to market 01/16)
- Dead Air Ghost (stainless steel/titanium, modular, not sure if user serviceable) - new to market 01/16)
- Sig SRD 45 (titanium/stainless, no evidence of dis-assembly being possible - relatively new to the market)
- Griffin Armament Resistance .45 (released at SHOT Show, no details yet)

Then you had to go an mention .45-70 (LOL). I have seen documented application of both a Ti-Rant and Thompson Machine QMF2 on SUBSONIC .45-70 loads with no adverse affects. I suspect, but have no proof (yet), that the Octane 45 would fare as well as the other 2 cans with SUBSONIC loads.

Stepping up to full power .458 loads such as .45-70, 450 Marlin, .450 Bushmaster and .458 Socom, you're currently limited to:
- Bowers VERS 458
- Lane Scorpion 458
- Coastal Gun Model X for .458
- Crux Ark45
- Wilson Combat Whisper
These are all intended for rifle applications (ie: no pistol booster)

That said, there's a few new .458 cans that are hitting (or are about to) the market that appear to be suitable for pistol AND rifle use.
- Liberty Cosmic (available) (titanium tube/stainless monocore, user serviceable)
- SilencerCo Hybrid (available as of 1/4/16) (not user serviceable - assuming Ti/SS)

If you're interested in seeing actual test results of some of these cans 'in the wild' you can probably find them here: http://nfatalk.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I might have missed some, but I think I got the usual suspects. The above is only opinion and observations based on my innarweb wanderings.

Octane 45, hands down.

That's good. I put an order in with QRF @ Griffin on Sunday. :D

PS to the OP: GA Optimus and Liberty Mystic X are no good for .45, only has clearance for 9mm projectiles.

Last edited:
The mythical Hybrid. Went to see it and it was gone. Kinda like big foot.

Lane makes one I believe that us pretty cool too.

Yeah, I was disappointed that the Hybrid didn't show up at the QRF/Griffin shoot as planned. NFA Review channel (Youtube) allegedly has one and had it at a range yesterday, so another 3rd party hands on review should be forthcoming shortly.

The Lane .458 is interesting in that you can order a mix of SS/Titanium to your own like/needs/price. The guys at QRF said they can get the Lane cans on request.

http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-458.html

Last edited:
Yeah, I was disappointed that the Hybrid didn't show up at the QRF/Griffin shoot as planned. NFA Review channel (Youtube) allegedly has one and had it at a range yesterday, so another 3rd party hands on review should be forthcoming shortly.

The Lane .458 is interesting in that you can order a mix of SS/Titanium to your own like/needs/price. The guys at QRF said they can get the Lane cans on request.

http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-458.html

I think a few others were expecting the Hybrid too. Thanks for all the great info and links. I looked over the NFAtalk great information on lots of things.
I talked with Liberty and the Cosmic is out,not much on video. HydroAuto, what is better K baffles or monocore ?

From what i have read, monocores have a reputation of more first round pop (frp) compared to K baffles.
I can verify from firsthand experience that this is true with rimfire cans. I have shot the same ammo through a Sparrow SS and Spectre II and the Sparrow actually caught me off guard with how loud the pop was compared to the Spectre.

It is particularly important with pistol cans, and more so on short barreled pistols.

Last edited:
I've got a TiRant45 and it works as it should. However, finding extra pistons is almost impossible currently as they seem to still be having some mfg issues with these. Keep that in mind if you are going to be using different hosts.

I've got a TiRant45 and it works as it should. However, finding extra pistons is almost impossible currently as they seem to still be having some mfg issues with these. Keep that in mind if you are going to be using different hosts.

I had heard that parts were hard to come by for the AAC products, and customer service.I have shot the TiRant 45 on carbine and pistol Great can and accurate.

Back
Top Bottom