• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Caliber for DEER hunting in GA.

30-30 has been my go to deer rifle for years. That or a 12g slug. Many a deer slain with a 30-30 & a 12g slug.

After 40 years and taking Elk, Mule Deer,and Whitetail I have the greatest confidence in my 270 win. Just a Jack O'Connor fan he never led me wrong.

Well I know the season is done for this year here in GA, but I just picked up a Marlin 1895GS 45-70 last week and I can hardly wait to take it out in the coming deer season. She's a beauty and pretty compact and handy with an 18-1/2" barrel. It could probably take any game in GA and will hopefully help take a deer for me in the fall. I will probably still hunt my 308 rifles and have yet to try my 300 Blackout on a deer (wish they would legalize suppressor hunting). I have never really considered taking a regular 5.56 AR in the woods though.

30.06 tried and true 165 grain boat tail with balistic tip. 44 years of hunting and not a lost deer. 7mm and 300 mag from past friends use tore them up pretty bad, unless you find a big boy trophy.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WMSproject
.270 Winchester...

-Good shot placement along with quality bullets don't normally account for much After Dark "Searching"-
wink.png

When my little Browning .270, (yes the old 1920 something caliber), goes off, they instinctively fall in their little feet tracks just as their heart and/or lungs excape their bodies in rapid fashion-
Accubonds are just wonderful- Besides, the Deer can't tell- 222Rem Dead is just as Dead as 50BMG Dead
Buy what you can shoot comfortably and practice often-​

30-30 has been my go to deer rifle for years. That or a 12g slug. Many a deer slain with a 30-30 & a 12g slug.

Or a 22 for that matter-I'm not promoting illegal methods,:nono: just stating facts

Caliber is a matter of opinion when considering centerfire weapons for ethically harvesting Georgia Deer-
Good Shot Placement, Good Bullet selection, Shooting within one's actual range, and Clearly Seeing Your Target- THANKS Dad and thanks Jack O'Connor

Back
Top Bottom