• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

External cell phone antenna for home use/extended range?

Same problem at my place in Fannin. One tower give minimal coverage and gets unuseable during the busy times of year when there are a lot of tourists running up and down 60. Appears to use up all the bandwidth the tower has available... I have tried a couple different expensive "booster" solutions with no luck. I'll have to look later and see if I can remember the specific items I tried.

Same problem at my place in Fannin. One tower give minimal coverage and gets unuseable during the busy times of year when there are a lot of tourists running up and down 60. Appears to use up all the bandwidth the tower has available... I have tried a couple different expensive "booster" solutions with no luck. I'll have to look later and see if I can remember the specific items I tried.
When they put that tower at deep gap I get cell service at the cabin like when i'm in Snellville,in fact I had the cabin house phone turned off.
Now if I could just get fast internet at the cabin :grey:

Surely someone has mastered this. Cell coverage sucks at my cabin (even though it's probably not much over a mile from an interstate as the crow flies).
Verizon was pretty bad and now that I switched to AT&T it's much worse (yes I may switch back but it's still an issue). It's almost impossible to get 1 bar and when you do if fades in and out (on different phones, so it's not a phone issue).
Does no one make some sort of external indoor antenna/range extender that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars? I don't know squat about the technology but just don't understand why a passive antenna wouldn't help.
I see these sorts of things https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank?keywords=cell+phone+range+extender&rh=i:aps,k:cell+phone+range+extender&qid=1470418883&sort=price-desc-rank
But yeah, way too much.
I see this https://www.amazon.com/1700MHz-2100...&keywords=cell+phone+external+antenna+booster but would perfer an omni directional indoor antenna. Perhaps that's not really an option though? :noidea:

Anything with an amplifier in it on any of the cell bands is not going to be legal; unless it's installed and operated by a licensee in those bands. The best you could do would be a "Passive Repeater", but even that is a fuzzy area because it could be considered an "intentional radiator" if you caused interference for anyone and they or the FCC tracked it down. The FCC rules are worse than the ATF when it comes to grey areas.

Anything with an amplifier in it on any of the cell bands is not going to be legal; unless it's installed and operated by a licensee in those bands. The best you could do would be a "Passive Repeater", but even that is a fuzzy area because it could be considered an "intentional radiator" if you caused interference for anyone and they or the FCC tracked it down. The FCC rules are worse than the ATF when it comes to grey areas.
You.... you and your lack of fun. :p ;) I'm flying blind here (obviously) but FWIW, I'm no where near anyone else. Of course all the major cell phone carrier maps say I should have 4G+ coverage there .... they lie.

Try one of those boosters. Had the same issue at my parents ts cabin in Haiwasee, bought this and worked out great
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160806_f1ebd901467318da06aeffdbef3d594a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's been years since i had trouble latching onto a tower because it was busy
But if you turn your phone off and back on and make your Call the instant the bars show back up , you'll be able to get on the tower

I have same problem with my cabin / shack outside blairsville
It's in a cove , mountain on three and a half sides

I get one bar outside
None inside , tin roof kills that one bar

Can just barely text or make a call
Ain't no 4G that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had same problem at my home and Verizon sent out a guy to check our address for signal strength. He sit in my driveway for a few minutes and left without saying a word. The next day I received a call from Verizon saying we were in what she called a dead zone. She sent out a network extender for free and we have not had any more problems. You can buy one from the website but I'd call first to ask if they could send out someone to check your address.

Back
Top Bottom