• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting rid of majority of collection & ATF new rule

So where is this real world and accurate "listed value" of every firearm the ATF will use to determine if you made a profit on any of your collection from over the decades. Do the values account for inflation, rarity, comparable values if the money was invested? Are we comparing apples to apples? This is getting fuzzy really fast.
The ATF is not concerned with how much you sold your gun collection for. Again, they are concerned with those who are buying guns with the intent to sell at a profit.
Thank you, guys...

My eye got hit by a baseball, so it's not going to get better, unfortunately. Luckily, I have good insurance to keep things under control for now.

It really sucks because I really enjoyed collecting over the years, but ATF is getting nonsensical these days, enough to scare law-abiding collectors.
It doesn't help when every youtube talking head lies to their viewers, uses scare tactics and pure BS to scare the public just to keep viewers and stay monetized. Most people have nothing to fear from this new law. Those that need to worry already know they are breaking the law. People buying and selling guns on a regular basis (flipping) are the ones this new rule is going after. Not your every day law abiding gun collector or hobbyist. The internet can be very useful but it is also great for spreading fear and panic, paranoia where it is not at all helpful.

So where is this real world and accurate "listed value" of every firearm the ATF will use to determine if you made a profit on any of your collection from over the decades. Do the values account for inflation, rarity, comparable values if the money was invested? Are we comparing apples to apples? This is getting fuzzy really fast.

I think it's actually a lot more straightforward than that, unless you think the ATF is really "out to target you" personally. In which case they have a lot of other ways to eff you up.

If you establish a pattern of behavior, buying items and then selling them unfired or slightly fired, over a period of time, that's likely to attract some attention. That being said, there are some gun owners who do precisely that - quite innocently - because they are relatively well-off and can buy anything that takes their fancy, knowing they can sell it off and recoup almost all, if not a bit more than their initial investment.

For more conventional collectors, who buy a gun, fire it, and decide they don't like it, and sell it, volume will come into consideration, and probably whether you buy-sell-buy-sell-buy-sell basically the same model of gun.

The real 'tell' is if your trading style reveals that pattern of behavior.

I'm personally somewhat paranoid when it comes to the alphabet agencies and their motives, but this ruling barely moves the needle on my 'oh ****' meter.

I think it's actually a lot more straightforward than that, unless you think the ATF is really "out to target you" personally. In which case they have a lot of other ways to eff you up.

If you establish a pattern of behavior, buying items and then selling them unfired or slightly fired, over a period of time, that's likely to attract some attention. That being said, there are some gun owners who do precisely that - quite innocently - because they are relatively well-off and can buy anything that takes their fancy, knowing they can sell it off and recoup almost all, if not a bit more than their initial investment.

For more conventional collectors, who buy a gun, fire it, and decide they don't like it, and sell it, volume will come into consideration, and probably whether you buy-sell-buy-sell-buy-sell basically the same model of gun.

The real 'tell' is if your trading style reveals that pattern of behavior.
Plus you have to keep in mind the fact that they have absolutely no way of tracking what guns you have and what guns you have bought and sold or what you sold them for. They can (and have been for years) watch sites like these and do exactly as you say, look for a pattern of flipping. It is not hard to see if you look.

It really sucks because I really enjoyed collecting over the years, but ATF is getting nonsensical these days, enough to scare law-abiding collectors.
Exactly what they are shooting for.

As mentioned above, the new rules don't change very much for the average person.

But they way they are being presented is exactly what the ATF intended... to scare honest people so badly that they stop doing private sales.

Unfortunately. my eye is really worsening after the injury, and I also don't have time to shoot like I used to.
I've been contemplating reducing my collection that I collected since the '90s.

I don't want to part with my entire collection because I still enjoy shooting guns at my local club occasionally and enhancing their performance, etc.
With the new ATF rule, I don't know how to achieve the above without practically giving them away for free.

Is this new rule likely to take effect without any intervention?
What is the best course of action in my case to reduce my collection without any legal complication?
Hopefully they aren’t looking for a guy like you. If you were buying/selling/flipping, I’d be saying either become a FFL or get underneath the umbrella of one.

As someone else said: They don’t have a complete picture of what you have and when you got it.

I would never tell you to give away your guns. Because they continually devalue our dollar the number of dollars it takes to buy anything is constantly increasing. The S&W 686 I purchased in 1980 for $200 is worth about 1k today.

If you decide to let something go, use your favorite FFL and let them do the 4437

Back
Top Bottom