• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Storage

1gunsnotenough

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
260   1
Reaction score
I have run across some military wool scarves. They are about 6ft long and open on both ends and are large enough to get a scoped AR in it. My question is it safe to store firearms in wool? They are in a humidity controlled safe as well.

I don't think I would do that. Wool does not "breathe" and any moisture inside the sock will stay inside the stock.
Wool does breath pretty well actually. That's what makes it such a great fabric for keeping warm. I've seen gun socks that looked to be made out of wool but I don't know for sure. I know a lot of them are impregnated with silicone. I think it would probably work but I personally wouldn't risk it with anything of much value because I don't know for sure.

Only thing I know about wool.

Until recently wool was the preferred fabric of outdoorsman.
The reason all the hunting coats and outdoor gear were made of wool until the 60's was, wool still provides warmth when wet. Wool clothing has been to both the North and South poles.

Trivia ....

Oh! Gun socks are cheap, I'd go for the gun socks. I know I picked up a few from Cabelas that were actuall made for my AR's. They'll fit over a scoped AR as well. They last forever, no need to cheap out on them.

If you come to the John's Creek M&G I'll buy one off you.
I spent plenty of time in a wool scarf during Cold Weather Training in Fort Drum in 77......

Back
Top Bottom